Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Flushing a motor

Skyjack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
I have a 2007 Crewman with a gummed up motor. The Wife’s drive car until it failed rego due to oil leaks. Upon inspection it was found the motor gummed up and crankcase breathers blocked that much that an amount of oil was found in the front air box and the top cams had had no oil issues from time to time. I have been told to let it sit for three days with diesel. Then drain it out and put diesel in and run it for a short time. Does this sound right or what is the correct method to flush a motor. It is a great car and the Wife still loves it. Thanks for your comments.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If it has an alloytec or Eco you normally need to tear a fair bit of the engine down to clean them up. Sump will need to come off, as will timing cover and rocker covers. LIM probably also needs to come off. Running it on diesel will probably be too little too late by now, I'm afraid. I'm guessing you have the 3.6 since you have posted in the VZ forum. Either way it ain't going to be a quick fix. I assume you have a V6 since this is a common problem.

Last edited:

Skyjack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
If it has an alloytec or Eco you normally need to tear a fair bit of the engine down to clean them up. Sump will need to come off, as will timing cover and rocker covers. LIM probably also needs to come off. Running it on diesel will probably be too little too late by now, I'm afraid. I'm guessing you have the 3.6 since you have posted in the VZ forum. Either way it ain't going to be a quick fix. I assume you have a V6 since this is a common problem.
Thanks for your reply. It’s a 185 kw and I have a 175 kw 05 wagon to grab the motor and gear box from if required.