Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Flushing Radiator + engine maint

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
I had to post.

You should ALWAYS prime your oil filter with a bit of oil before you install it. Im not saying fill it right up to the brim so that it runs out when you install it, but just enough to soak the filter paper on the inside. I normally put about 100ml in and rotate it so that it soaks in everywhere. Once it soaks in you wouldnt even know it had oil inside it and it wont run out either (unless you add too much).

Dunno about you naysayers, but those 1-2 seconds without 100% oil pressure are probably worth as much damage to the engine as a few thousand k's of normal driving. I know what im gonna be doing.

frdhtr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp Calais charged v6
There's still oil in between the bearings and everywhere important, remembering you usually have the engine warm before draining the oil, a couple of seconds doesn't faze me as I've never had a problem all my engines still have good comp and no bearing knocks, as I said each to there own it isnt as silly as it sounds I have never seen mechanics at dealerships ect doing it, I think it's one of those over protective technical things, cheers

Last edited:

Paulib

Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 VP Commodore Exec Manual
Cheers guys. Got it all done in the weekend. only took a few hours - flushing the radiator took the longest lol and I'm pretty sure I should do it again.

I wasn't too worried about doing it all just making sure there was no special tricks for commies lol