Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fluted Bonnet

captaincupcake

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega - SS Mock Up
I recently bought the hsv bonnet to go with the pontiac front end conversion. i was just wondering if it is possible to make the two air intakes on the bonnet part of the air intake system so that they are a functional part of the car instead of a cosmetic feature.

cheers

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
anythings possible, just a matter of how much you want to spend fabricating it up. Just have to work a 2 part system where the bonnet opens/closes onto & seals around the intake mounted in the engine bay

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
no, as i am sure but someone may correct me that this hasn't been attempted before.And to workout how to stop water ingress.

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
VE Series II SS-V Redline Sportswagon A6 Phantom
would it be worth it?

I recently bought the hsv bonnet to go with the pontiac front end conversion. i was just wondering if it is possible to make the two air intakes on the bonnet part of the air intake system so that they are a functional part of the car instead of a cosmetic feature.

cheers

Where the flutes are is right above the throttle body(one each side) so from there you would have to run your intake connection from these(have a panel filter straight below the flutes with some sort of compression seal to seal the gap when the bonnet is closed) back towards the front of the car and and you would need to turn it around again to get into throttle body, so it would kind of be an S bend or a bad U bend at least, pretty sure that you would get more benefit from a normal OTR (over the radiator intake). If you are leaving the MAF in place this becomes even harder (the S bend). Or if you were thinking of routing the flutes to the standard air box I think you may go backwards in performance or a minimum change. Pretty sure the VZ Pontiac GTO (I think it was called) had the flutes plumbed some how to the intake so you might want to check up on that, I know the Manaro didn't have this but the American version apparently did.

captaincupcake

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega - SS Mock Up
alright thanks ill do some research. im real keen as this would be a unique this but also i would like the flutes to be functional. if i was to make this happen, where would i go to have this work done?

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
Ram Air Intake

You want to look up Ram Air Intakes.

Capa...

Corvette style twin to single.

ls1_induction_ve_otr_big.jpg

You could even consider modifying it instead of having twin tubes have a shortened OTR style panel filter. By having the flutes unblocked would then allow more air to channel down into the tray. Would be better than just OTR. Might look at this for myself actually.