Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Focal's OR Rockford Forsgate's SPEAKERS

1VSlover

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Vs Holden Calais
hey guys just wondering what some of your thoughts on these 2 brands or whats better than and these few products I'v chosen I like. I'm more after 6.5' component speakers *not full range unless convinced otherwise* with a price range of $340, just would like to know whats going to be bang for my buck any opinions welcome. thank you

Focal - 165A1 *and has anyone heard these 165KR*

Rockford Forsgate - Rockford Fosgate
-------------------- Rockford Fosgate

also whats a good sound proofing/ deadening for doors, price range $200

Thanks guys

Zend3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
I've never heard the Rockford Fosgate gear in the flesh, but my old housemate has the 165KR and they sound pretty good.

I only say 'pretty good' because he hasn't done a lot of work to them- the doors aren't deadened and the speakers aren't amped. That taken into consideration they sound fantastic, so who knows how good they would sound properly installed and tuned.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
The rockford's aren't much to listen to, the focal are liked by a lot of people, especially the KR, they are a well recognised good SQ speaker for the money. Alternatively, I'd look at Morel Tempo6's / Dotech Ovation 6 or Crescendo Opus 1 or 3, I would prefer any of these over the focal equivalent, both will have a better chance of good midbass in a sealed door.

For sound deadening, you can get a 3.3sq.metre dynamat bulk pack for around $220 delivered, this will do both front doors and a few random sections over the car as you please, this is usually the cheapest and best option.

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
I have Rockford and Focal speakers. Generally speaking, Focal is great for mid range and SQ, pretty clear, whereas the RF are a great speaker for low range sounds, very bass focused by comparison.

Opinions differ on speakers, so it's probably a good idea to listen to them before buying. I was dead set on Polk speakers until I heard them vs. the Focals, which blew the Polk out of the water. I also chose the mid range Focals, sounded better to me.

1VSlover

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Vs Holden Calais
thanks alot guys will be having fun looking into all the suggestions, also with sound deadening the front doors do i put anything inside the actually door or just underneath the trim? or anyone have some photos of when you did yours?

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
To do it properly, to achieve that really nice midbass kick, you'll need to get some decent coverage on the inside of the door, behind the glass (inside metal skin) then seal up the large service holes in the doors with tape/MDF (3mm is fine).. Cut out cardboard templates of the holes (easiest thing to trace) then cut out the mdf, cover it with tape and stick it over the service hole. Then again you want good coverage on the outside, 100% is overkill but at least you know it's done correctly.
Here a few pictures of mine
Sealing service holes - more tape was added. Mine are sealed with a clear glue, but you can just spray them with spray paint to stop water getting to them
2011-08-03144204-2.jpg

Inside skin:
2011-07-29153723.jpg

Finished
2011-08-03155655.jpg

The other 2 large service holes were covered with MDF too, I didn't get any pictures of this though.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
As I said in another thread. Rockford for great subs. Focal for great speakers.

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Yeh I like focal over rockford in the speaker department

1VSlover

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Vs Holden Calais
Looks awesome sweefu! absolutely hands down brilliant mate did you do the centre console as well Im wanting to stop engine noise from getting into the cockpit anyone know how to go about this also photos would be highly appreciated thank you