Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Food for thought.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Let's all get out there and plant more tree's. That's a start.
We are decreasing natural forest's to put buildings/houses/factories in there place at an alarming rate, but we are not making up for what we are taking away. Instead we are putting things which will be producing harmful gasses, where as the plants were filtering out all the crap from the oxygen.

We also need to leave the Amazon rainforest alone, as it produces more than 20 percent of the worlds oxygen.

This is my opinion & I'm entitled to it. If you don't agree, don't jump down my throat about it.

i cant agree more.
wouldnt it be best to start at the ROOT of the problem? :p
but so long as its trees native to the area.

it may not be the best solution for all global warming.
but it can help with removal of co2.
trees look awesome in forrests. habitats for animals? (these shouldnt be cut down)
and it could become a renewable farming source.
plus timber products look amazing.

cracker

Reaction score
In theory, you could make water by smashing Hydrogen and Oxygen together, but it requires more than just stirring it together. They don't just mix like a scrambled eggs.

heat mixes them together

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Off topic I know but gee lets consider this for a minute. Two places were responsible for keeping "our knowledge and hope", Ireland and Constantinople. Ireland is west not east. Germanic tribes had been migrating for years, as had the Celts, before the Roman Empire fell. They, like the Celts and many other tribal peoples of Europe, were wanderers. The only people who it can be confirmed moved due to climatic change were the Vikings..

Yes Ireland was also an important repository of knowledge, a repository of two cultures more importantly, sorry I missed pointing at it.. Yes I should have included the Vikings. We are looking at a period of about 6 hundred years from the fall of the Western Empire to the end of the Viking age. 400 to 1000ad. Like I said it is just stuff I've read and is out of my head without links. A story that might show the consequences of changing weather patterns on populations. Really the Vikings could be seen as the last Germanic expansion. As the warmer climate moved north we had subsequent expansions of people, ending in the furtherest north. The Scandinavians..

We also see at the fall of the Western Empire "plagues" ravaging Rome and it's territories. Malaria is the most likely contender, how did it get there without a warming climate? So there is a case for a climate change in the fall of the Western Empire and the movement of people. The most likely really.

Living in an electorate of a so called federal independent I can tell you we do not control our politicians, although I have made my local one work very hard he still did what he did for his own personal reasons and his own personal benefit. The rest we can change but it still gets back to the point that we as individuals, and this is being shown in this thread, will only do things that benefit us as individuals.

LoL. Don't give up!

Aussie V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E 308/T350. 1989 FJ75 Toyota Troopcarrier
We also see at the fall of the Western Empire "plagues" ravaging Rome and it's territories. Malaria is the most likely contender, how did it get there without a warming climate? So there is a case for a climate change in the fall of the Western Empire and the movement of people. The most likely really.
I have heard that before, watched a few so called documentaries on it. and read a bit about it, but there is no real evidence for Malaria in continental Europe (Gaul, Germania) during the time of the Roman Empire and if there was it would also be in Britannia because of the trade links for Tin which Britannia was one of the main suppliers of.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
My two bob's worth.

In a generation where the problems being created by dramatically increasing population numbers worldwide, decreasing food sources, decreasing water supplies, environmental worries etc, why does the medical profession continue to develop methods of prolonging life?

Surely death is nature's most effective method of natural selection and survival of the breed, yet we continue to expect our medical scientists to develop technologies, drugs and techniques that will ensure we live longer. I can understand that this is proper for the young who suffer terminal afflictions, but to prolong the lives of people who have already had a decent innings seems obscene to me and only exacerbates, in a small way, the problems of burgeoning population numbers. Even in Africa, the conditions under which people live and die is natural, not necessarily man-made (local wars etc notwithstanding). The climate and ecology of the African continent does not support human life effectively for much of its mass, yet populations continue to grow there because of poor education and basic human need. Controlling population growth makes more sense than supplementing an ever increasing starving populace.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
I have heard that before, watched a few so called documentaries on it. and read a bit about it, but there is no real evidence for Malaria in continental Europe (Gaul, Germania) during the time of the Roman Empire and if there was it would also be in Britannia because of the trade links for Tin which Britannia was one of the main suppliers of.

Not in Gaul or Germania, in Italy.
BBC - History - Ancient History in depth: Malaria and the Fall of Rome
National Geographic News @ nationalgeographic.com

Aussie V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
One minute you say Rome and its territories the next you say
Anywhere there is a river on a peninsula in the Mediterranean you are going to get diseases that are like, if not actually being, Malaria. Italy, while being the centre, was a very small part of the Roman Empire and with people travelling throughout the empire, often by boat, you would get these diseases also travelling. Problem is there is no evidence of it spreading from one part of the empire to another. That is the clincher to that theory. Yes Rome and its immediate surrounds had a disease like, if not, Malaria but it was not prevalent throughout the empire and the Legions were not based in Rome and were not allowed, if my memory is correct, to enter Rome. The Empire fell because it was to big to manage, and with multiple cultural groups allowed to have their own laws, kings, gods, customs, weapons, so close to Rome itself there was no way any legion or group of legions could have stopped the fall.

It was not disease that made Rome fall rather it was piss poor management just like every other world power that no longer exists.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
One minute you say Rome and its territories the next you say

Hmm, OK, I see what you mean. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. If it was not around Rome on the Italian peninsular I would probably have used the word provinces. It's not like I was changing my mind as you seem to imply by one minute I say one thing the next another.

I don't think you can blame piss poor management for the fall of every empire the world has seen. Persia for eg was very well managed and at it's height until Alexander came along and kicked their arses. At the end of the bronze age something happened that caused empires to fall(Mycenaean, Hittite) and I doubt it was mismanagement.

Edit: Like I said in my first post, the info about climate change having an impact was just out of my head, what I had read or from docos. All you have to do is google "fall rome climate change" without quotes and you will see what I mean.

Aussie V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hmm, OK, I see what you mean. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. If it was not around Rome on the Italian peninsular I would probably have used the word provinces. It's not like I was changing my mind as you seem to imply by one minute I say one thing the next another.
I take things as they are written, if that is a character flaw then I'm guilty. Nothing implied just saying what it looked like to me, sorry about that.

I don't think you can blame piss poor management for the fall of every empire the world has seen. Persia for eg was very well managed and at it's height until Alexander came along and kicked their arses. At the end of the bronze age something happened that caused empires to fall(Mycenaean, Hittite) and I doubt it was mismanagement.
I agree Persia was a great empire but Alexander's army was much better and they had been travelling for quite a while with no end in sight in the travelling and fighting. The Persians were in the homeland all they had to do was defend it. It should not have been all that difficult. It really seems that mismanagement was a pretty fair call for the fall of Persia.

Mycenae is a classic example of bad management. For a civilisation to have built over 800 years a military elite that rivalled anything else known at the time only to let is slip away in approximately 100 years is phenomenal. They controlled much of southern Greece and had many colonies yet dwindled into nothing in the space of 4 generations.

The Hittites are a very interesting group. There are new discoveries coming out of Hattusa (Hittite capital in Eastern Anatolia) that indicate the fall of the Hittites was an internal, and more to the point a family, issue. Yes they had military problems and lost territory to other groups such as the Sea Peoples and Assyrian's but the actual final destruction of Hattusa was done from inside the city by the cities own inhabitants who were never heard from or seen again in Western or Middle Eastern historical records.

Edit: Like I said in my first post, the info about climate change having an impact was just out of my head, what I had read or from docos. All you have to do is google "fall rome climate change" without quotes and you will see what I mean.
I don't need to google fall of Rome I have studied the archaeology of it and there is no real evidence of global warming increasing disease causing a collapse of Roman civilisation but there is plenty of evidence of Roman mismanagement, as mentioned in a previous post. Allowing various groups to get to such a stage where they could, and did, mount an offensive against the Empire from within the Empire itself was the problem. The thing, as already mentioned, with the disease scenario is that all of the Empires population including the Germanic raiders living within its borders would have been subject to those diseases as soon as they come to an area that was infected with it. There is no evidence of this happening. Furthermore traders who travelled the trade routes, of which there were many, would have also spread the diseases but there is no evidence of that either.