Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Footwell Lighting

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Hi Guys

Bought a couple of 12v LED strips for my footwells on the VS to finish off my blue LED conversion

I am not sure how I want to wire them up at this stage but it will either be wired up so they come on with the headlights or I will wire them into the accessories wire and just have them on permanently.

Either way I have a couple of questions (I haven't done an awful lot of wiring in the past other than a few gauges/kill switches)

1. Will I need a relay to wire them up in either of the scenarios above (they are straight 12v DC lights) (The salesman at jaycar said he was able to wire his straight up but thought I should check with the experts first)

2. If I do choose to wire them up so they come on with the head lights, which wire do I splice into?

3. The LED strips have both a positive and negative wire, say for example I want to hook it up directly to the acc wire would I simply solder both wires on or would I run one to the acc wire and one to the battery?

Thanks All

kcpwns

Kicker - Livin' Loud :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Equipe
Hmm well there is a thread on here on how to do it. I didn't use a relay.
I don't use my accessories socket so I took my power and earth from there. Spliced my wires in. Hoped that the fuse that's on accessories would do. Seems to do the job. And the. Smashed a switch on the neg. Although I dunno if your supposed to? Either way mine works fine.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Hmm well there is a thread on here on how to do it. I didn't use a relay.
I don't use my accessories socket so I took my power and earth from there. Spliced my wires in. Hoped that the fuse that's on accessories would do. Seems to do the job. And the. Smashed a switch on the neg. Although I dunno if your supposed to? Either way mine works fine.

Thanks

I am hoping I don't need to put a switch in.

I would just like to splice both wires to which ever source I decide to use

kcpwns

Kicker - Livin' Loud :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Equipe
Just make sure you splice into something that can handle it. Don't want melted wires lol

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II S-Pack 25th Anniversary
NAh i wouldnt worry about a relay for them, however i would still go with some kind of fuse incase the things crap themselves, as Diodes do tend to short out when they blow..

Ive got mine hooked up to a 3 way switch in my car, which lets me turn them off for good, on permentally or on/off with the interior lights.. I think it looks pretty awesome with the interior lights.. But if you go with the interior light option just remember if its anything like the VY's they switch on/off with the negative not positive, so its back-to-front from what you would expect..

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
easiest option is the cig plug, you can either wire it to accessories or the park light circuit which are both at the plug, no you wont need a relay and if it was me i wouldn't bother trying to wire up a fuse holder as both accessories and park light feeds are fused already

writeoff

0 to 100... eventually
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Be careful driving with them on, you can get don for 'impersonating a police officer' particularly being blue, which I believe carries a 10k fine and 2 years in jail, correct me if I am wrong but that is what I have heard.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Be careful driving with them on, you can get don for 'impersonating a police officer' particularly being blue, which I believe carries a 10k fine and 2 years in jail, correct me if I am wrong but that is what I have heard.

I had them in my old VN and positioned them so they aren't bright enough to be seen outside the car so should be ok.

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
My uncle did mine for me, we wired it to the accessories cable, ran the wires to the centre with a switch to flick them off and on :) used the 'calais interior hole light' for the switch