Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

For anyone who turns ignition on, car won't start but radiator fan goes

VNCommyBeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS VN, VR Berlina
Last week i couldn't start my car, with the ignition on the engine cranked but wouldn't start but the radiator fan came on instead.
I searched on here and noticed quite a few people had this problem but there was no solution yet, so this is for the next person this happens to.
My car is an Ecotec VS, i'm guessing other models do it too. This happens when petrol isn't getting to the engine/ low fuel pressure. In my case, someone didn't put the filter on the fuel pump so it filled up with all sorts of sticks and things blocking it up and i wasn't getting enough fuel pressure. So for whoever this happens to next, make sure you have petrol first of all as this happens when you've just run out too, if that's not the problem, start looking for reasons why it's not getting to the engine. You'd think something's wrong with the computer, but from what i did find on here and my own experience it didn't seem to be. Chur

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Helpful advise but why do you have sticks in your tank? LOL

VNCommyBeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS VN, VR Berlina
No idea, the car lived for 15 years before i got it lol some kid maybe thought it was a good idea to put sticks and grass in there? haha

VNCommyBeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS VN, VR Berlina
Ok maybe not. Just a coincidence that it worked when i replaced the fuel pump, did it again months later and was found to be the key

HoldenGal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 97 V6 Exec, Holden Opel
So what was wrong with the key? Just that I'm having a WHAT I THINK IS a problem with the key... New ignition barrel fitted, now it cranks but won't kick over. I too was guessing maybe a fuel problem...

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
So what was wrong with the key? Just that I'm having a WHAT I THINK IS a problem with the key... New ignition barrel fitted, now it cranks but won't kick over. I too was guessing maybe a fuel problem...

Keep to the thread you started lol

Check your fuel pump, since the car has been sitting for 12 months.