Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

For people in Adelaide :p

VRSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 6-Speed
I'm considering buying a car from NSW, it comes with a road worthy certificate over there.

When i bring it over, i'm assuming it will have to go through regency, will the road worthy certificate help it pass?

The car has a sports steering wheel and a hole in the bonnet, the top of the air cleaner pokes out of the bonnet at about 5mm at the highest point.. Is that legal in SA?

I'll put the stock steering wheel back on it because it doesn't have a collapsable boss kit, but i'm not sure about the top of the air filter being exposed through the bonnet (it sits pretty much flush with the top of the bonnet)

Thanks

EvoVIIIJDM

Got Evo?
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Evo VIII JDM
Im pretty sure thats not legal, check minux thread (kill 9 i think hes new name is) for sa mod laws. If you arent sure, call regency.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
also depends where you live.....

Ben only had to take it to Sturt for vehicle ID check. & My little bro is country, so local coppers do a vehicle ID check there.

It doesnt have to 'go to regency' as in a full inspection, its just for an ID check, but if there is something obvious like the things you mentioned, they can do a full inspection.

Ben got his VK thru, lowered the way he bought it, & 3 weeks later.... got it defected about 500M from the place that checked it at Sturt.... lol

D.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
K here ya go... taken from MODIFICATIONS TO PASSENGER CARS, CAR TYPE
UTILITIES AND PANEL VANS information bulliton from Transport SA

Bonnet Scoops

The fitting of a rearward opening bonnet scoop is permitted without specific approval or inspection providing
that the following criteria can be met.

a. Bonnet scoops manufactured from a plastic or fibreglass material may be fitted, providing that the hole
in the original bonnet does not substantially reduce the strength or impact resistance of the bonnet and
no rigid component, such as an air cleaner or carburettor protrudes beyond the original bonnet profile.

b. Holes may be cut in the bonnet and the protrusion of an air cleaner or carburettor above the bonnet line
but below the bonnet scoop providing that the bonnet scoop or raised bonnet section is manufactured
from equivalent gauge mild steel compared with the original bonnet.

c. If any bonnet reinforcing braces are cut or modified the design of the modified bonnet must be of equal
strength to the original bonnet and any sharp edges created must be suitably treated.

d. All edges and corners shall have a radius of not less than 5 millimetres and of general design and
construction so as to reduce to a minimum the risk of bodily injury to any person.
e. In addition, any bonnet scoop is unacceptable if it restricts the field of view of the driver under normal
operating conditions. The field of view requirements are determined as follows:

•With the drivers seat in the rearmost position, it shall be possible to see, unobstructed for the full
width of the vehicle, a line drawn on the roadway 11 metres ahead of the "driver's eye position"
when looking over the bonnet scoop. For the purpose of this requirement the "driver's eye
position" shall lie at the bottom of the of the 95th percentile eye ellipse (reference ADR 15/01
clause 15.1.5.1).

•Alternatively the "driver's eye position" can be taken as a point 750 millimetres above and 270
millimetres forward of the junction of the seat cushion and seat squab with the seat in the lowest
and rearmost position.

The fitting of forward opening bonnet scoops, which have the potential to increase injuries to
pedestrians in collisions, for example forward opening "letter box" style, are not acceptable.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
SUSPECT said:
yea but no joke wat do u think's gonna happen with no rear springs and nufnsus plates ay??? pretty silly stuff danni

erm it DID have rear springs & they were the ones which Sturt checked it over with & passed it for SA rego with the NUFNSUS plates....

I believe your thinking of the first silver VK Calais, but again it DID have springs, just super lows.... the ones which are in my car atm... to be taken out this week... but they ride very near the bump stops.

D.

VRSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 6-Speed
the top of the air cleaner only shows through the bonnet because theres 2 air filters ontop of eachother, if and when i brought it over here, id get another bonnet with no hole in it, and take one of the air filters off.
Also i'd put the standard steering wheel back on.
I live in modbury, do you think i'd have to take it through regency.. ?

Thanks for the help :thumbsup:

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
It'll definitely have to go through Regency to be complied, it wont matter that its got an RWC.

So the bonnet will need to be replaced and steering wheel taken off. Only legal steering wheels are Momo and Isotta (but once again only some of their models are legal). Oil leaks, window tint etc. will need to be fixed too. Window tint is 70 on the front passenger windows, 35 on rear windows minimum.

VH SLE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE
I didnt think you had to take cars bought interstate through regency. Just to sturt cop shop they check numbers to make sure its not stolen and if tint is too dark make you rip it off.

Oh yeah and plates look cool Danni. saw it parked on hindly today. Looks different without the sticker and rims.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I would work on having a license and learn how to drive before I worried if my modded VK Calais 5L passes a RWC check............
AirStrike :air: