Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Forced Induction With DOD L77

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Hi Gents,

I am currently looking into forced induction applications, mainly single turbocharging, and was wondering if I would be able to have a modified camshaft to maintain the DOD functionality.

The workshop I am currently dealing with have advised against this, due to some technical mumbo jumbo I am not familiar with.

Essentially I am currently looking to maintain stock stall converter and DOD, and push around about 14-18psi through a large single turbo. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this? Or should I stick to removing DOD and fitting a 'larger' camshaft?

Goals for the build are:

1. Everyday driveability and reliability
2. Lots of killerwasps, about 400 of them at the treads
3. Smooth idle

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
14-18 psi on a stock motor is a wee bit too high. I've seen a lot of people stick to around the 8-10 mark, sometimes up to 12, but it ultimately comes down to the tune. A small, FI suitable cam to match whatever turbo/supercharger set up you go with should easily make 400+. I seen a vid on Facebook this morning of a VF SS auto with a Heartbeat blower and Stealth cam from C&A Autofashion make 441rwkw on 10psi.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
3. Smooth idle

Sounds like you want the world stuffed into your engine bay. Just to confirm what you want. You want a Large Single Turbo setup, Camshaft Upgrade, AFM Retention, Stock Stallie and everyday Street Manners? Not sure if you mean you want Camshaft and/or Turbo.

If you want both, youre probably going to have to start by looking at custom grinds. Its hard enough to find a cam suitable for boost, let alone a cam suited towards boost and the retention of AFM, I highly doubt one even exists on the Australia Aftermarket. First port of call, head down to Autotechnique / VCM in Ferntree Gully. They may be able to help point you in the right direction. Im assuming you either went to C&A or MPW or APS here in Vic in regards to boost.

Second, stock stallie? Even a moderate camshaft a lot of people say you can retain the stock stallie. Ill tell you right now. You CAN. You wont want to. Youll be so hard on the brakes your foot will be through the firewall.

Id personally be scrapping the camshaft upgrade idea. Getting a very good single turbo set up. Putting that 4 grand (plus whatever you get bent over for the custom grind) into strengthening in preparation for lets say mid teens of boost. Im not saying it cant be done. It sounds to me like a giant head####. Speak to a cam grinder see if anything can be done up to suit. Go from there.

But I really hate the idea of Boost + Camshaft Upgrade + Stock Stallie and the dream that its going to be well behaved on the street.

bozodos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 MY06
I dare say you'd want to upgrade to a set of tie bar lifters for that sort of power level, so bye bye AFM gear. I've never actually heard of anyone using FI with AFM still active.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Hi Gents,

I am currently looking into forced induction applications, mainly single turbocharging, and was wondering if I would be able to have a modified camshaft to maintain the DOD functionality.

The workshop I am currently dealing with have advised against this, due to some technical mumbo jumbo I am not familiar with.

Essentially I am currently looking to maintain stock stall converter and DOD, and push around about 14-18psi through a large single turbo. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this? Or should I stick to removing DOD and fitting a 'larger' camshaft?

Goals for the build are:

3. Smooth idle

Is it possible, yes.

Who advised that you will need a different cam?

No need to crack it open at all. Would be much easier to just bolt high ratio rockers in there for more lift, this also increases duration to LS3 spec but better coz you already have a turbo friendly LSA and negative overlap. FI and AFM are commonplace on GenV (same lifters), several blown G8s with it active also.

BTW max effective compression on our car is less than 16:1 on e85, which means max effective boost on 98 is less than 5 psi, 9 psi on e85, which is good news in thermodynamic terms.

Will a tuned turbo L77 on e85 reach 400rwkw? Look to results from stock cammed LS3 turbo builds and yes some are around that mark on average (discount by 5% for miscellaneous i.e. mozzie dick displacement and compression difference but near enough).

Could be a cost effective and worthwhile build.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Is it possible, yes.

Who advised that you will need a different cam?

No need to crack it open at all. Would be much easier to just bolt high ratio rockers in there for more lift, this also increases duration to LS3 spec but better coz you already have a turbo friendly LSA and negative overlap. FI and AFM are commonplace on GenV (same lifters), several blown G8s with it active also.

BTW max effective compression on our car is less than 16:1 on e85, which means max effective boost on 98 is less than 5 psi, 9 psi on e85, which is good news in thermodynamic terms.

Will a tuned turbo L77 on e85 reach 400rwkw? Look to results from stock cammed LS3 turbo builds and yes some are around that mark on average (discount by 5% for miscellaneous i.e. mozzie dick displacement and compression difference but near enough).

Could be a cost effective and worthwhile build.

Thanks Pirate et al.

To clarify, nobody said I needed to change the camshaft that is purely a pipedream but what the fellas said had something along the lines of custom grind like Grennan said. I'm sorry if my goals for my build make you cringe Grennan, but hey it's my car and my money, but thanks for your input!

Will probably stick to stock camshaft, but will suss out some custom grinds and price it up.

In regards to supercharging instead, I have got a quote for roughly the same price at circa $12500 for a heartbeat including camshaft upgrade. However I am keen on retaining driveability and DOD and given the above feedback from some experienced members will probably keep the stock stick. I prefer a turbo, purely for the way it delivers power and I am a jap car lover, I really want that whoosh (I have just put my flame suit on so let loose).

Interesting to know what the max effective boost pressure is, I will definately read up on that.

Thanks gents.