Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

***Ford to be killed off V8 Supercars circuit at end of 2015***

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by uniacidz, Oct 9, 2014.

1. uniacidz

uniacidz Harden the Frak Up

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    Bathurst 1000 2014: Ford to be killed off V8 Supercars circuit at end of 2015, ending iconic rivalry with Holden

LINK

[​IMG]

FORD is dead according to high level V8 Supercars officials with Australia’s greatest sporting rivalry to be killed off by the end of next year.

In a Bathurst bombshell delivered on the week the last GT Falcon was built, The Daily Telegraph can reveal Ford are set to axe V8 Supercars from their $60 million sponsorship war chest in a move that will end iconic Ford v Holden Mount Panorama racing war.

With the Falcon already dead and waiting to be buried, V8 officials have been told Ford will officially quit the sport at the end of the year and will not renew a multi-million dollar year deal with reigning Bathurst champions Ford Performance Racing (FPR).

[​IMG]

Ford will remain on the grid next year with FPR and Penske/Dick Johnson Racing to give the Falcon a one year stay of execution with plans already underway to turn the FGX — the last ever Falcon — into a V8 Supercar.

But then the Aussie legend, forged by Ford warrior Dick Johnson, will be dead.

This weekend’s Bathurst is shaping as the penultimate 1000km fight between Ford and Holden with Mark Winterbottom looking to continue the Blue Oval’s famous Mount Panorama history by upsetting Holden great Jamie Whincup.

The Daily Telegraph has been told six Ford Falcons have been confirmed to race in next year’s series with both FPR and Penske-DJR to hit the grid with the new FGX that will not be funded by Ford.

Then the 22 year-old war, made famous by Johnson and Peter Brock, will be over.

Ford’s future in the sport has been under a heavy cloud since the American giant announced the Falcon would be axed in 2016 after and Ford’s Australian factory closed.

[​IMG]

Ford signed a one year deal with FPR a day before Winterbottom held off Whincup to land the Blue Oval a famous drought breaking Bathurst win.

Amid a global restructuring and plummeting car sales in Australia, Ford has remained uncommitted to motorsport, instead spending their marketing budget on television shows including the Voice and the Bachelorette.

V8 Supercars CEO James Warburton says his pleas to Ford had fallen on deaf ears.

“We have two teams who will race Ford in 2015 even if they will not be factory backed,’’ he said

[​IMG]

“We have consistently made our case to Ford, not only for 2015, but well into the future. They know exactly where we are going and the huge benefits we can deliver.
    “We would obviously love to have them continue in the sport.’’

FPR last night said they were still negotiating with Ford and had not given up on securing a new one year deal.

The team remain hopeful of receiving some level of factory support.

“We are still in the fight,’’ said a FPR insider.

Holden’s future on the grid is assured with the Australian manufacturer signing new deals with both the Holden Racing Team (HRT) and Red Bull Racing Australia.

[​IMG]

Despite suggestions early this year that Holden would also quit the sport after deciding to close down its Australian operations, the Red Lion will with HRT joining Red Bull Racing Australia as full factory-backed Holden teams with champions Garth Tander, James Courtney, Craig Lowndes and Jamie Whincup their four all-star drivers.

But the future of the Commodore still remains clouded beyond 2016 with the car facing the axe when Australian manufacturing stops.

2. Troy711

Troy711 Retired Old Fart Staff Member

Members Ride:
    2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
    I highly doubt there won't be a Ford on the grid in 2016. My guess is that there won't be a FACTORY BACKED Ford on the grid.

3. Grennan

Grennan Slayer of Stupid Threads

Members Ride:
    VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
    Yeah thats what the artcle says. There wont be a factory ford team.

Which really isnt the end of the world. FPR will need to pick up a new major backer but there will still be Fords on the grid.

I wonder what happens come 2017 though.

We have no more Commodore, no more Falcon.

Camaro and Mustangs?

4. Darren_L

Darren_L Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VH SS
    I won't be following it next year anyway
    with the Foxtel deal, we only get 6 races free to air, the rest just highlights I'm going to lose any interest I had

motor racing fans are treated like **** in Australia.
    In Australia, you have the choice of football, football or football....

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  5. mpower

mpower Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
    Anyone who has watched Ford's support for their factory teams over the years would have noticed that GM have always given better support to motor racing in this country.

Typical "news" site reporting in this country.

6. Reaper

Reaper Tells it like it is.

Members Ride:
    RG Z71 Colorado, VZ LX8 Adventra, VP SS
    ^^^ yep. Goes back to the 70's. Anybody old enough to remember 1799 Ford 1-2 at Bathurst??? Moffat bounded into the Ford office to talk about 1978 shortly afterwards to be told that Ford had removed all support for motorsport. In what should have been their heyday they handed everything to the A9X on a silver platter. No doubt the A9X was an excellent race car however I think its results were flattered somewhat by a poorly funded competition.

Overall it's going to be a challenging time for V8SC in the next 5 years as our domestic car industry goes thu some huge changes. Ford leavings implications - hmmmm tbh it really depends on what happens with other brands. Mercedes have been there under duress since day 1 and Erebus have been struggling for money. They may be looking for another manufacturer. Chrysler have been mentioned many times over the last few years but have so far produced naught however they are the most logical brand to come on board but it's by no means a given.

Combine all that with pay TV deals and a very crowded entertainment market, it'll be interesting times for V8SC.

7. mpower

mpower Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    The article in the OP is what's commonly known as "sensationalist clickbait".

8. Mack78

Mack78 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Series 2 SV6 and VK berlina 3.3
    Boring dead series anyway, Only watch Bathurst these days and head to Clipsal more for the off track stuff. Gimme NASCAR any day over this even if they do mainly do ovals.

9. Reaper

Members Ride:
    Hahahaha you were doing ok till you mentioned NASCAR :lmao:

10. Mack78

Mack78 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Series 2 SV6 and VK berlina 3.3
    sorry man I just like the carnage, is that better ??

11. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    I am sure the rivalry is a little longer than that.....Nothing like getting your facts right.

Crap article...of course there will be Fords on the grid...plenty of race teams exist around the world without factory support, batshit boring series anyway aside from this weekend.

IMO V8SC is on its last legs.....perhaps the Aus-Am racing serries will replace it.

12. Troy711

Troy711 Retired Old Fart Staff Member

Members Ride:
    2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
    Exactly. The article is so full of **** and misinformation, the amount of times they say (or imply) that Fords will NOT AT ALL NO WAY POSSIBLE be racing after 2015 is stupid. Sensationalist media at its finest.

I also note that there is no other reputable motorsports website reporting this yet, so it makes me wonder where the "information" has come from. My guess is that a writer has been given the job of increasing traffic and has taken what we all knew anyway (Ford pulling factory funding) and worded it to hype up a story around the time when V8 fans are regularly checking news sites.

13. mpower

mpower Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    quick we need some sensationalist article in the runup to Bathurst this weekend - kgo.

14. mpower

mpower Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    In other news

No Cookies | Fox Sports News, Live Sport, Sports | Fox Sports

15. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Fair go, Reap. Even I'm not old enough to remember back then......

1977, however.....the only time I can remember the finishing order being doctored to suit an ego.

16. Reaper

Members Ride:
    Hahaha oops. Either way Ford dominated and then flushed it all away. They are very lucky that Dick Johnson came good with the XD (no thanks to Ford as they didn't even want to race the car and went out of their way to make it hard). Of course the RS500 was the car to have by the late 80's but that had nothing what so ever to do with Ford Australia either. Pretty sure it was all Shell money that DJR had with limited if any factory support in Aus.

17. Crowny

Crowny Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Executive
    One thing with the XD Reaper I was reading "The Rise and Fall of Peter Brock" which was written with the HDT driver John Harvey. It mentions that the Falcon was given advantages compared to the Commodore to make it competitive and there were controversies about the Commodore including minimum weight (Dick Johnson is meant to have said it should have been in the order of 1,400kgs which is quite heavy for a car that size and I think heavier then a roomier VS) and cylinder heads which resulted in Peter Brock at one stage forfeiting points for six rounds of the championship.

Not taking away from Dick Johnson's ability or anything like that (I personally believe he has a legitimate claim to being Australia's best ever touring car driver) but if you believe one version of events the Commodore in the early days could have been even stronger and possibly have more touring car championships. The late 80s with Group A is a different story.

18. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Fixed it for you.