Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Formula holden buick based v6's

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
No the crank is a 4340 steel with 5.7 h beam rods and Forged pistons comp is 8.2 /1 supercharger is a T Trim all with 3 " piping and a intercooler. the power drops off when belt start to slip at 5500 rpm

COME stroker? the Ttrim is a decent blower, capable of meany PSI. i didn't know they run of a serpentine belt setup. though they always used the timing belt/gilmour style drives.

you running maf or map? if maf i suggest you get a bored out MAF sensor from MACE engineering (will need a retune to use) also get there plenum insulator (reduce intake temps) and plenum spacer(gets better manifold air distribution). both of these have proven dyno gains. also do the EGR gasket support plate mod(helps reducing intake temps when EGR opens:whistling).

if you are running maf i suggest maybe changing to a MAP setup. the people from kalmaker can now do this on the ecotecs and have seen some good results but still get the MACE insultor and spacer.

Matchport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Ute
This engine is still 3800cc I have wired a SM4 inthe VY wiring system so the BCM can see the engine running abd Air bag, unit is maf less. air temp (at the manifold) is approx 10-14 C above ambient temp. Head gasket are O ring and MLS .065. hope to run 22-25 psi with timing belt set up, have to get new crankdrive unit made by Ben (Powerbond)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
mafless is definitly hte way to go. have a look at the MACE gear. as one guy put it, "after spending all day on the dyno the intake manifold was still only warm to touch"

do you still have the EGR working?

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Does any one know who supplied the pistons they used in these motors? they made the engines have a 10.5:1 compresiion ratio piston or 10:1 (i keep finding conflicting info)I can find a few places that supply 9.5:1 pistons but not the higher ones, maybe im just not searchin very well?

ACL supplied those in the paper the info I supplied is from. (Also the gaskets). Both 10:1 and 10.5:1 may have been used.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
I will just add ACL make special rings for formula holden's they can be found in their catologue they're slightly bigger than what a normal ring spec is probably for better sealing. Also managed to get hold of a block left over formula holden stock the main caps seem to be aftermarket and are chunkier and stronger compared to stock caps judging by there size.
Can take pics of caps if anyones interested

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
always interested in stuff like that, go get the torch!!

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
I can beat that camera has a flash going to shed now.

EDIT: this is the background building a motor for a friend and My engine builder said he has brand new block and heads that are left over stock from formula holden (which he says comes from Larry Perkins Racing i tend to beleive them as they build fast cars and have good rep) Which of coarse i jumped at the chance to buy finding new heads and block would be hard nowadays. Anyway basic specs are stock bore and deck line honed cam and crank tunnel. Heads I have seem to be stock so maybe porting is done on site???
One thing i will look at is what cheap6 mentioned about cam tunnel being larger mine has already got bearings in it so might have measure it i'm going to be ****ed if its too big when i go to put the cam in. Also one other things My vp s2 runs a 3 bolts cam flange and the formula holden block is a 2 bolt. might be an earlier block even though they are both EV6.

Anyways here's pics maybe i should have grabbed that torch it was dark and hard to take pics try and get some better ones tomorrow. First pic is the number 2 cap on my vp block. The second pic is the number 2 and 3 caps on the formula block

Attachments

• 000_0740.jpg
    000_0740.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 304
  • 000_0739.jpg
    000_0739.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Had a bit of a look at work today my block seems to be a vr block and main caps look the same as ecotec except they dont have the threads in the side of them. vr onwards seem to run the 2 bolt cam flange whereas earlier ones are 3 bolt

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
So ecotec caps can be made to work as a fake Formula Holden cap? or perhaps all VR's have caps like that? but I'd think VP and VR's would be the same

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
All factory caps are numbered mine have no numbers on them. Maybe vr are the same but i couldnt find any with caps around the workshop there were some blocks ready for machining but had no caps with them. I looked at a batch of supercharged and ecotecs we're building at the moment so thats what drew my comparison from.

I couldnt see why ecotec main cap wouldn't work the journals are the same and the cranks are the same (balanced differently) the only difference is they got that funny sideways lock thing on them (call it 4 bolt mains but imo they arent)