Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Found a nice water leak tonight

havavb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute
So I pulled up out the front, jumped out of the car went to walk up the driveway and I noticed little dribbles of water coming up the street where my car was driving, I walked to the front to find a nice bit of water dropping out into the gutter, so I popped the bonnet and to see water on the bottom right of the radiator (where the lower hose joins on). I felt the radiator cap and it wasn't hot, the hoses were, car was on running temp no funny signs etc. I so I pulled the radiator cap off and the level was sitting where it normally does, I checked the over flow (didn't have a proper look but it seemed fine). Being that I noticed water near the hose I'm hoping it was just the hose being loose or maybe need to replace it. In the last 5000km's I've had the radiator, inlet manifold gasket, heater tap, rear engine plate changed. I'm not 100% sure on thermostat I'll ask my mechanic if he changed it when he did the the inlet manifold gasket. But I'm just stumped as to what it could be? I'll inspect it further tomorrow in the daylight and whilst it's cold, but does anyone have any idea as to what it could be? I'll be taking it to my mechanic for so he can look it also, but wouldn't mind other peoples thoughts, or if it's happened to anyone else

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
Windscreen washer bottle? Maybe the grommit the pump slides into has perished?

Did on my ute and I had a mysterious water leak. Easy fix but unnecessary pain in the arse...... :/

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
to see water on the bottom right of the radiator (where the lower hose joins on).
Windscreen washer bottle? Maybe the grommit the pump slides into has perished?/
The windscreen washer bottle is on the opposite side to where the OP said the leak was.
I think the OP meant "right", as looking from the front of the car.

It may have leaked down from the radiator cap, the clamp on the lower hose may need tightening, or you may have split in the hose.

havavb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute
Well the radiator is defiantly leaking, hose is ok, I cleaned out that rubber gromet not to long ago as my washers weren't working and it was fine, I'd say the leak started last night as it lost approx 1-1.2 liters of water/coolant

gm1961

Reaction score
Hi All

Make sure it is radiator water, catch some in a glass or something you will notice the green coolant fairly quickly

At the radiator end the leaks could be a few things

1) worn or loose fitting of the small metal tube in the overflow hose up near the top of the radiator ( my VP was like this for 3 years , but used 1 litre in 3 months )
2) hole in the overflow hose so its leaking instead of going into the bottle - use flashlight and trace the hose all the way , look for wet signs and where they start
3) hole in radiator core - again - use flashlight and look for wet signs and where they start
4) small pin hole on the radiator sides , they get tiny pin holes and usually they steam under pressure, you should hear the hiss
5) loose clamp on any of the main or heater hoses and water dripping back , some V6's can leak on the manifold and water will run backwards / downhill down a hose ( my VP done this as well on the manifold small plastic fitting broke - bought a engine bay hose kit and done all of them and the water heater controll as all hoses are just as old and something else will go sooner or later , best do all at once will cost the once time remove and replace )

Finally get the car checked out at a decent workshop or radiator shop, when all cooled down, they use a pump up plunger where the radiator cap goes, as they pump it up pressure builds up and you can see if the needle is steady it is fine, if it drops there is a water leak somewhere.

regards
george

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
interesting
a crack -leak in the radiator but where ? .. the tank end seams maybe ... where is the drain plug

havavb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute
Located the source of the problem. Was leaking on the bottom right (looking at the motor from the front of the car). The leak was coming from where the alloy meets the plastic casing. Kind of frustrated since it's just 2 years old and top quality no cheap stuff. Car has never over heated and I'm very fussy and check the mechanics quite frequently. So for the time being I bought a moderately priced rad from auto barn and fitted it, done all the coolant/water ratio bled the system all seems to be going well, I'll give it a few days of driving and re check everything