Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

from a lexus to a holden?

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Not necessarily.
If the engine makes its peak torque at say 4000rpm and its torque curve is "fattest" at say 4000-4500rpm then if you can bang the car right in that spot it will be at its most efficient rpm range.

You're right, on the high way it might be a little bit worse but I'd say having it in its most effective operating range more often is going to be more benificial .

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Most definately sits in a more responsive area of the rev range. But I reckon the extra 13% of RPM at any given speed...particularly on the HWY hurts consumption a little.

`Aleks

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black SSV
fuel economical the sv6 average is 13l/100km for me

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Most definately sits in a more responsive area of the rev range. But I reckon the extra 13% of RPM at any given speed...particularly on the HWY hurts consumption a little.
On the high way, I'd probably agree to an extent. But not to the tune of 2x. Maybe a litre over 100km.

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Nah nowhere near 2x..it would be 13% more I reckon...an extra litre over 100 km sounds right.

mint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
There must have been something wrong with it, you hammered the crap out of it or something else because that is abnormally high. Both my SSV-s averaged around 13.5 L/100 and they had both done around 100,000 km each. There was significant amounts of towing involved which would have skewed the average abnormally high too.

Reaper

Mate, it was a fleet car.

I was the second "owner". I don't know how regularly he had it serviced, or indeed what the hell might have been wrong with it.

I drove it in "a spirited manner", which is how a V8 is supposed to be driven. Some would call that "hammering the crap". Others would say "how else would you drive it?".

If you are getting a better mileage than Holden does at the "official test", and better than I am in the SIDI V6 I have right now, then I only have one comment.

**scratch that - Actually I give up, i think the motto here is YMMV peace to all

Last edited:

Mike08

No Back seat drivers
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
Since all the talk is fuel related here, i managed to get a 9.6L burn out of the SS coming back from Brisbane the other day. Highway cruise of course.

But have never really seen more than a 18 burn in mine. Not that i look when the foot is down hard.

Cheers all.

Btw, 98 spec fuel cost me $1.60 where i come from.

Last edited:

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Well if a bought 60 litres worth of fuel at $1.50 per litre before I changed the diff but now use it 13% quicker. How much extra would fuel be costing me to drive the same distance at the same average speed?

Fuel Cost = $90 x 13%
= $11.70

Would be costing me an extra $11.70 for the same distance at the same speed based on a 13% incease in consumption.

If however my economy rate of 8.5l/100km was put up against your economy rate of 11.3/100km then you'd be paying an 2.8l/100km or an extra $4.20 per 100km. That would mean that you would be getting 530km out of your $90 and I would be getting 705km. So over a distance of 500km you'd be paying $16.80 more than me over 5000km $168 and 50,000 $1680 and over 500,000 that would be $16800 more so in the end not much more....although that depends how deep your pockets are ey.

TrikkBen

I'm Back :D
Reaction score
Website
www.asroilpans.com
Members Ride
BNR32
It's a pretty OK car. Good value for money.

If Ford dealt the after-sales customer service, it would be a GREAT car.

Why you would want a V8, I have no idea. Your fuel bill will be approximately double the Lexus and you won't be having double the fun!

Another uneducated sheep..