Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

from buick to ecotec

VSCristian

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VP Commodore Executive V8 A4
i've repeatedly read that the buick is torquier than the ecotec, and the VN-VRs are quicker than the VS, is this true?

if so, why would holden make it's newer car slower and less torquey?

i drive a VSII ecotec, and while very happy with it, was just wondering.

i know that overall torque and power are higher in the ecotec, but does the buick out do it and if so why?

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
i'd be interested to know that too, ive heard the ecotecs are more fuel efficent anyone with an eco tec want to tell me how many kms they get out of a tank?

i like the buick engines but the ecotecs are enticing me too.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
i've repeatedly read that the buick is torquier than the ecotec, and the VN-VRs are quicker than the VS, is this true?

if so, why would holden make it's newer car slower and less torquey?

i drive a VSII ecotec, and while very happy with it, was just wondering.

i know that overall torque and power are higher in the ecotec, but does the buick out do it and if so why?

Use the search button, it's been covered heaps. Every Ecotec vs. Buick thread just ends up with people saying that they "think" or "feel" that one is better than the other. Every answer is completely subjective as there is no control to compare against.

To paraphrase though, the Ecotec delivered (off the top of my head) a 5% cut in fuel usage and a 13% or 17% (I can't really remember) increase in power over the Buick, that's why Holden used them.

There will be no definitive answer to this though, racing a stock VR and stock VS of this age against each other will prove nothing (well to me anyway), every engine has been treated differently.

My personal preference is the Ecotec simply because they have more bolt-on bits and pieces, and the apparent improvements over the Buick. Speed off the line on a stock engine isn't really a concern for me.

VSCristian

Reaction score
Members Ride
i get around 10-12l/100km around town and 8-10l/100km on highway (110-120km/h)
that's with the aircon off.. with it on it eats an extra 1-3L/100kms!!!

VSII, enclosed pod CAI, extractors, 2.5inch catback

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
lol I have a stage 2 cluster (not for much longer! :clap:) so i'm not up with those measurements, how many kilomeres per 63 litres (assuming vs/vr tanks are the same size)

lol i must waste so much petrol i have my air con on ALL THE TIME haha.

VSCristian

Reaction score
Members Ride
i was wondering because i was looking at manifold spacers for the ecotec and the ad said "make it have the low end punch of the buick"... now either the buick has more low end or the manifold spacer's not a good thing

VSCristian

Reaction score
Members Ride
it says 59 in the book for the VS... anyway i get around 500-600 around town without aircon...

and 400-450 with!!!!

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
If you took a VS that had been well maintained (serviced regulary etc) and a VP that had not been looked after, of course one is going to have more torque than another.

Heaps of people here will tell you how well their VP / VS etc runs, but it's all a much of a muchness.

The most accurate way to finding out would have been to take a brand new VP and a brand new VS off the showroom floor in complete stock form and running them down at a track or something. But i highly doubt that would be possible nowadays.

94vrcaprice

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
99 wh caprice
well as for range on the hwy i get betwen 400 to 500 kays on the first 1/4 of a tank in my v6 caprice around town i only get about 250 to 300 my tank is 80ltrs