Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front Brake Pads

Benniee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I'm planning on replacing my front pads soon as my current ones are getting pretty low.

I've read that a lot of people machine the discs at the same time as a pad change. Is this worth it? I've been quoted $20 a disc to machine them if I drop the discs off.

What's the worst outcome from changing the pads without machining the discs?

Also my service manual recommends replacing the bolt you undo to swing the calipers open. Does anyone do this or do they just re-use the same bolt?

Thanks,
Benniee

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You can reuse the same bolt. If your car pulls up straight with no steering wheel movement or pedal pulsation then there is no need to machine the discs. After fitting the pads, follow the correct bedding in procedure and all should be good. Bedding in procedure can be found here http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
Just read the 'bedding in procedure', what a lot of palarve that is!!, so every new car on the road has had their brakes bedded in or they aren't working to the max...CRAP!!!!.. I once did that bedding exercise, nothing 'felt better' or lasted longer. After the last set of pads I fitted (el-cheapo brand) I just went on driving as i normally do and forgot that I had fitted them. Several 1000 K's and they work just fine, around the city or on the open road breaking while towing a loaded trailer.

Pablo

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
All brake pad and disc manufacturers recommend a bedding in procedure. They say that braking performance may be diminished if it is not followed. Just because you have not noticed any difference will not make this procedure unnecessary. There are lots of circumstances where after doing certain work that procedures need to be followed to make the repairs or parts function correctly or to their best capabilities. Not doing it may not result in problems but these procedures are there for a purpose. If nobody followed them at all, there will be a failure of performance or components on a higher percentage of vehicles.
The same can be said of torquing head bolts, if you don't follow the correct torquing procedure the head gasket may leak. It won't happen every time but it will happen.

knowledge_is_power

Quest for Cognition
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII V6 A4
By the sounds of things you’re not someone who would be considered a heavy braker. All brake pads require “bedding in”. Only after the bedding in will you get the optimum friction from the pads. Because you don’t follow the bedding in procedure doesn’t mean that you haven’t bed your pads in, just means you haven’t gone the best way about it. If you don’t follow the bedding in procedure and are someone who is relatively light on their brakes, the pads will bed in eventually. It will take some time using the brakes like normal to bed them in. This can be dangerous if you encounter an instance when you need to use the full capacity of your brakes, as it will be reduced. The same goes if you’re a heavy braker you will cook your pads before they are bedded in and this will reduce the effectiveness of the pads for as long as you use them.

I would suggest that you bed your pads in, or look at pads that use new technology to reduce the need for bedding in such as Bendix pads with the titanium stripe.

Machining the discs is recommended when replacing pads so that the rotors are as smooth as the pad is and maintains the most contact possible, and will reduce the time it takes to bed in your new pads.

Jezz

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
Thanks for the replys, I always like to hear and respect other blokes opinions. But, like I said, of all the new cars driven home from the showroom today, I'll bet nobody had 'brake bedding in procedure' on there mind, not today, not tomorrow or next week, by which time, according to the experts, it will be too late!!!...so are all these cars being driven around whith brakes that are not working efficiently, as the maker intended?? because of no bedding in procedure being followed??
Confused!

vtsuperchargedboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT supercharged
i just got mine machined today, the reason i got mine machined was because my breaks were squeaking, the pads were so worn that the disc was mangled and if the discs werent machined then the disc would eventually be destroyed and i'd need to get new discs, thats what i was told not sure if it was a crock?

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
...my old Mum always said when we heard somebodys brakes 'squeeking' that they need oiling!!!!...
...wonder if she is right!!!!...might be the 'cure-all'??

Pablo

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
Bendix pads with the titanium stripe.
For the coin Bendix charge, there's much better pads out there. Also tend to have higher friction co-efficients, than other, meaning they eat rotors faster, and dust up rims quicker.

For less money, something like Lucas or QFM provide better performance, with just as little bed-in required...

I'll bet nobody had 'brake bedding in procedure' on there mind, not today, not tomorrow or next week, by which time, according to the experts, it will be too late!!!...so are all these cars being driven around whith brakes that are not working efficiently, as the maker intended?? because of no bedding in procedure being followed?
Not working effeciently... its quite possible... Just because a car stops day to day normally, doesn't mean its 100% effective under heavy load or speed, or wear rotors as normal.

I think the head bolts analogy was pretty close on the money! ;)