Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front end clunk

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Check all the 6 bolts holding the engine cradle to chassis rails are torqued up and not loose.

I did that, and its still noisy [Temp Fix, Turn the Radio UP ;) ]

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
How many ks on it?

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
That's a decent life. Best advice is replace all the rubber parts if you want it to run like new. They will all be dead or near enough to it. Engine mounts definitely squashed down a lot by that point. My new ones were about an inch taller than the old ones.

jeffmills69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Wagon
I too have a clunk, so far I've changed:
Sway bar bushes
Sway bar end links
Struts
Springs
Strut top mounts
Bump stops
Lower control arms

Also spent hours having a look at brakes as I hear it when braking aswell as going over bumps

I did find that 2 screws holding the AC + Coolant lines(?) on top of the crossmember /k frame were loose although tightening didn't do much for the clunk, though after changing LCA's a few weeks ago steering is tighter and steering wheel doesn't shake at freeway speeds anymore

The LCA's ball joins did have a heap of movement so I assume the inner/outer tie rods will be in the same condition (easy to move) and they're the last thing to change so.. its almost like the clunking is coming from multiple things being worn out at the same time

Check all the 6 bolts holding the engine cradle to chassis rails are torqued up and not loose.
Do you have a pic of these or would you even be able to draw what bolts you mean on ms paint?

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
its almost like the clunking is coming from multiple things being worn out at the same time

Do you have a pic of these or would you even be able to draw what bolts you mean on ms paint?
Exactly right. Everything is well worn after 10 or 15 years on the road.
See if this pic works but you can't miss the big bolts holding the front end of the car together. You see them from under the car
Screenshot_20210109-174729~3.png

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
My last clunk was a LCA shell and a bad press job. Funny thing was it drove me insane for ages because when I inspected numerous times it was popped in and wouldn't budge when I lever tested. It was pure luck that I found this while changing over my struts and radius bushes

20200802_135439_1.jpg

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Because you have superpro, you might need to remove them and relube them including removing the centre rod of the bushes.

I had some noises when using superpro but the noises went away when I reapplied lube.

I used this lube which is similar to the original. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Super-L...-/163758174431?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Thanks for the info,
I do have another type of grease for Rubber/Neoprene items, (Red Grease)
It’s a Rubber Grease and is great for suspension bushes, Brake Caliper Seals,
I will give that a go and if that doesn’t work, I will try your recommendation.
I also thinking it could be the tierod arms,
Never the less, I have a whole Rack (done only 75,000km’s to install when I get energetic)
Being mine has just clocked over 195,5000 km’s, and the steering gets used a lot in suburbia, and in town.

Last edited:

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
My last clunk was a LCA shell and a bad press job. Funny thing was it drove me insane for ages because when I inspected numerous times it was popped in and wouldn't budge when I lever tested. It was pure luck that I found this while changing over my struts and radius bushes

View attachment 218028

They should be shot !
Not once, but Twice
Once for doing a S___T Job,
and
the Second time for installing it like that !!!!

I would have gone APE S___ if it was my car,
Basically rendering it unroadworthy. [Well in vic]

Last edited: