Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

front shocker replacement question

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
also with the strut tops they can go back on 3 different positions....the position that it shoudl be all depends on when you get a wheel alaighnment...i lernt this when i did mine. The guy said it depends on the car...so he fixed it up and only took like 2 min...jack car up (air jack) loosen 3 nuts and drop a little, re position and all set

rileyp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp
also with the strut tops they can go back on 3 different positions....the position that it shoudl be all depends on when you get a wheel alaighnment...i lernt this when i did mine. The guy said it depends on the car...so he fixed it up and only took like 2 min...jack car up (air jack) loosen 3 nuts and drop a little, re position and all set
I did actually rotate mine in situ as you suggest.It is a bit of a fiddle but it can be done.I wouldnt say its easy... not with the weight of the wheel on anyway which is how I did mine.
The notion of turning to suit wheel camber/caster not sure which it would be did pass my mind as well but regardless of this there is still definitely a left and right hand bearing and its critical they go on the correct sides.
Im 99% surer mine are correct in this regard and so its time for the wheel allignment and balance.
cheers Rileyp

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
i think they only say left and right to get the relation between caster and camber correct they are a mirror of each other if you know what i mean.when i lowered my vp i swapped the left for the right cause i couldnt get rid of enough camber and keep my level of caster and it made the car a pig when it had nice camber but the wrong caster. it felt way better with to much camber and the correct castor so i swapped them and it allowed me to have the same amount of caster but way less camber and made the car handle sweet as.

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
i think they only say left and right to get the relation between caster and camber correct they are a mirror of each other if you know what i mean.when i lowered my vp i swapped the left for the right cause i couldnt get rid of enough camber and keep my level of caster and it made the car a pig when it had nice camber but the wrong caster. it felt way better with to much camber and the correct castor so i swapped them and it allowed me to have the same amount of caster but way less camber and made the car handle sweet as.

yeh some are left and right and some brands are just teh same...all depends...the ones i got were teh same either side

308vkcalais

DIO..
Reaction score
Adelaide(City of Godbothers)Churches S.A.
Members Ride
308 VK Calais, VK EFI Berlina, V6 VN & Kenworth...
Dun heaps of strut tops & font shocks on Commy's.I've always lined up the hole in the new tops with the hole in the suspension tower.I use a tape measure & str8 edge to line up the steering afterwards myself.I always take it 4 a wheel alignment after i've dun any front end work but they hardly do any adjustments & ask me how i did it at home..