Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front strut bar bushes

commyvx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 V6
I got my car serviced today and the mechanic said the front strut bar bushes are worn and to replace them with nolathane bushes would cost $300. Is this a good price, also is it easy to do it myself because if it is then i might do it.

knowledge_is_power

Quest for Cognition
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII V6 A4
Strut bars don't have bushes. Either its sway bar bushes or strut tower bushes.

I'm guessing strut tower bushes by the price quoted, because there is no way that sway bar bushes would cost $300.

commyvx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 V6
ah ok yeh all it says in the invoice is front strut bar bushes worn. the mechanic said that when breaking the wheel moves an inch or something like that and that its not gonna fall off or anything like that just when it wears a bit more the tyres will start scrubing. He said that i can wait a while cause it isn't totaly stuffed yet untill i get the cash. Is it a big deal and get it done straight away or would it be alright to wait a couple of months?

knowledge_is_power

Quest for Cognition
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII V6 A4
Neither sway bars bushes or strut top bushes effect braking. He may be taking about your radius bushes. They are a fluid filled bush that effects braking and caster. Common for them to wear out. Not a serious issuse if he said they can wait.

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
I got my car serviced today and the mechanic said the front strut bar bushes are worn and to replace them with nolathane bushes would cost $300. Is this a good price, also is it easy to do it myself because if it is then i might do it.
Hi there
My machic told me i need new bushes and bearing
As the front of my car sits at 2 differant heights

Can you please tell me when you inspected these parts
The busted one was it sitting higner or lower than other side???
I need to know this urgently as i have a pair of lowered springs ready to put in Saturday he is doing it
I need to know as i am not sure if i should lower it..If the side that sits lower isn't the busted side i will leave same springs in
If anyone els could also answer this would be great
Thanks in advance

Rhin0o8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais Impounded?
@Commyvx.

The Radius rod bushes can be replaced in your driveway for well less than what you were quoted im sure of it
a few hours of your own time is all it will take .

check this thread out (it helped me when i changed mine ) or PM me for more info
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-replace-radius-rod-bushes-vt-vz.79399
be sure to read the WHOLE thread mate. it gets technical but it will help out alot

also be sure to thank Dayvo for the instructions. He is still quite active on the Forums

Last edited:

Rhin0o8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais Impounded?
Hi there
My machic told me i need new bushes and bearing
As the front of my car sits at 2 differant heights

Can you please tell me when you inspected these parts
The busted one was it sitting higner or lower than other side???
I need to know this urgently as i have a pair of lowered springs ready to put in Saturday he is doing it
I need to know as i am not sure if i should lower it..If the side that sits lower isn't the busted side i will leave same springs in
If anyone els could also answer this would be great
Thanks in advance

by that info youve given id be sure to say that your mechanic was talking about your Strut Top Bushes and Bearing plates.

if one side has collapsed ( "busted" ) id say that side would sit lower

hope this helps

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
by that info youve given id be sure to say that your mechanic was talking about your Strut Top Bushes and Bearing plates.

if one side has collapsed ( "busted" ) id say that side would sit lower

hope this helps
Thanks for the info exzactly what i was after..So i will chuck the lowered springs in

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
@Commyvx.

The Radius rod bushed can be replaced in your driveway for well less than what you were quoted im sure of it
a few hours of your own time is all it will take .

check this thread out (it helped me when i changed mine ) or PM me for more info
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-replace-radius-rod-bushes-vt-vz.79399
be sure to read the WHOLE thread mate. it gets technical but it will help out alot

also be sure to thank Dayvo for the instructions. He is still quite active on the Forums
Thanks for the reply

Sorry its the strut top bearing i should of made myself clearer Sorry