Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front Strut Removal

S

Spinksy

Hey Blokes, can anyone give me a quick step by step guide to removing the front suspension strut on my VN. Is there anything I need to watch out for?

Thanks

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
you need a ball joint separator for both the ball joint, and the steering knuckle.

take the opportunity to change the bushes over. when you torque the pivot bolt on the control arm, do so with the control arm at normal ride height (ie. not hanging down), or you will twist the pivot bush and damage it.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I take it you are replacing the strut inserts so first prise the top plastic cover off the centre of the strut plate under the bonnet and with the aid of a large screwdriver in the centre to stop it turning and a dished spanner crack the top nut JUST A LITTLE this can be tight after a few years .If its difficult and you are throwing the strut away you could push the strut dust cover up and grab the shaft of the shock between the spring coils with vice grips to stop it turning or a rattle gun if you have one.
Then jack the car up and put it on stands so it's all safe and take the wheel off .Take the two bolts securing the brake caliper and turn the the hose so the flat in the plastic lines up and push plastic hose support out of bracket in strut and find some scrap wire and hang caliper so theres no pressure on hose.
take out split pins from ball joint and tie rod and using care take tie rod stud out of steering knuckle using a soft faced hammer or block of wood after taking nut castelated nut off with support (jack) under steering knuckle.
Take off nut from anti roll bar link rod to bottom contol arm using flat on shaft of rod and spanner to stop it turning while you undo the nut.
Undo ball joint nut and with separator take out ball joint.You can try a soft face hammer or hardwood on the stud itself but the taper can be stubborn to release so just perservere. Push bottom control arm down to clear ball joint stud.
Take off the top three bearing plate nuts and the strut is out.
With spring compressors compress the spring so all the load is taken off the top bearing plate and undo completely the top nut that you just cracked before.
Take off plate , spring bumpstop and strut cover.
Undo the big nut in the centre of the strut and take out strut cartridge..if its the old original type there is plenty of oil in there too so look out.