Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front struts in a VXII Exec

gogoboygareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Commodore Exec
Hi all,

My '02 Exec has finally passed the 100 thou' km mark. The car's been getting a bit bouncy lately, so I knew I was in need of new shocks.

We found the rear shocks were leaking badly, so I replaced them on the spot (Monroe GT Gas).

The front is still very soft, but they said it was "OK" for now - but I'd like to get it sorted soon since the inner part of my front tyres is wearing quicker than the rest.

I asked for a quote for the front to be done - $420! I figured that was a bit excessive, so I'd like to know what I should be paying.

I'm not that good with cars - so no idea what I need. I figured it was just shocks, but they mentioned I needed new struts - I'm guessing that's all that is replaced?

I've seen them for sale new on Ebay, so I'm thinking of buying a pair and getting an experienced mechanic to fit them?

What should I be doing to get the best value?

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
I've been under the impression that front struts are just shocks.. can someone clarify the diff for me please? =/

gogoboygareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Commodore Exec
From what I can gather - I'm thinking that too (the struts *are* the front shocks).... but surely $400 is a bit much just for the front.

I remember getting my entire old Skyline done (front + rear shocks) for $400... so I think this place is just trying to rip me off.

spikeu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2
thats not a bad price, as the front struts on a vx are full strut legs and not inserts
like the VB to VP. I know that the prices for each strut leg is about $125.00, and fitting about $130. then you need to get alignment, $35.00. it starts to add up, and can be more. if you need new bearing in the strut tops or both with strut tops
for that type of money you only get monroe reflex. so dont go and look for cheaper ones. as some of the overseas makes.as monroe make the gmh unit,so you know when you buy a monroe gt reflex. it will be better then the o/e unit. some of the cheaper units are base on spring rates for a opel car, there spring rates are softer then the commodores here.so you may end up with car that does not handle as good as new.as the rebound and bump, may not work right with your springs rates of your car.as opel ride on softer springs, so there use a higher bump on there shocks not to
bottom out. use a high bump rate on xt commodore and you kill the good ride of the car

chippy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive 3.8l s1, vs s ute 5.0l s3
Yes the front sturts are the shocks and springs in one unit but are taken apart to replace the shock but the old spring is put back in. The shock should be replace around about 100km's the car will feel like a new car when you replace them. $420 sounds like a petty good price but just find out what type of shock thay are. Monroe are a petty good brand and make a good shock.

VZCalZone

now choppin the VZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais, vx2 exec
So any problems with monroe reflex shocks and king low springs. don't want it too low. Good combination?

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
Yeah fine combo, exactly what I got. The first day driving with the new suspension corners felt like nothing. Of course they do now as you get used to it but anyway.. it's the way to go.

sno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
so how much roughly is it goin to cost for 4 king spring lows and monroe gt short shocks to match?