Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front Suspension

TrustNo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Ummm weird noise coming from front right and left hand sides when I go over bumps and turn corners at any speed. It feels like the steering is stuck for a moment then it pops into place. You can feel the floor vibrate when it does the poping sound. I took some pics of the bushes (I think) while the car was not jacked up. Hopefully someone can see something I can't because it looks fine to me :S Going to take it to a mechanic but I want to learn some things for next time so any help would be appreciated :)

suspension2.jpg

suspension3.jpg

suspension4.jpg

suspension5.jpg

suspension7.jpg

suspension8.jpg

suspension9.jpg

suspension10.jpg

suspension11.jpg

suspension12.jpg

suspension1.jpg

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Nothing there looks badly worn or dangerous.Looks a bit aged though which could mean the strut assemblies could be worn out and making a noise.It could also be a worn top strut mount or bearing.How many k's has the car done?

deanos70

Reaction score
looks like your sway bar link pins rubbers are gone ( pic 1 )

also looks like the radius rod to the lower control arm bushing has a gap in it probably flogged out bush ( pic 8 )

TrustNo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
284,000. At 230,000 I had the front suspension worked on by pedders. The invoice says,

5823 Pedder Rubber Bush (whatever that is :s )
Front Z Bar Bush
5843 Rubber Bush
Urethane Panhard Rod Bush
F - Fitting
Wheel Alignment

2 Years ago btw. I know slack with maintenance, girlfriends suck money out of everyone don't they? :p

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
get under the car and grab your swaybar or swaybar links and give them a good tug to see if there is any movement, or get a friend to push down on the front of the car while your underneath and see if you can spot where the noise is coming from or if anything is moving.

chrga6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp le 220 kw5 ltr
try tightening the chassie braces ,they very commonly work them selfs loose they may look tight but put a spanner on them and give all 8 nut a tweek this usualy fixes that type of noise , and you can generaly feel it through the floor near the trans tunnel when they are loose .( the chassie braces are located between the chassie and the fire wall ,they branch off the chassie on an angle and connect to they firewall ,and are usualy shiney silver )( you will need to get under the car to see them ) another thing to look at is the rack to k frame bolts are tight these also seem to find there way loose and nock and also may be giving you the pause in the steering you mensioned ? good luck let me know what you find

TrustNo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Yes it moves on the right hand side not the left. When I pull it down it moves about .5-1cm and then makes a metalic tapping sound at the top.

TrustNo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
sway1.jpg

That's where the sound is coming from.

TrustNo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Oh that isn't my car, I found it on the web because it's too dark here to take one :p