Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front windshield

comaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs esteem S2 manual
Rego's around the corner and ive got a massive crack in the front wind shield of my VS. Can any one give me some tips on how to replace the wind shield my self, or is it more effort then its worth? I cant seem to find any threds on this so far so if anyone knows of any links that would be helpfull. cheers

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Can any one give me some tips on how to replace the wind shield my self, or is it more effort then its worth?

More effort than it's worth, get a professional to do it. Windshields (even new ones) are very prone to cracking when being handled, even the professionals will break the occasional windscreen. Getting a professional to do it will lessen this chance. The amount of time it will take a professional to do will be faster as well. They glue it in with neoprene, and I'm guessing that there is a proper method to gluing it in too.

crazy.vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
I got mine done last week. National Windscreens came out and replaced mine in less than 10 minutes. All it cost was $160. Couldn't complain about that! Don't pay more than around that price.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
I have replaced the rear in my wagon. Similar process to the front.

Pain in the a$$.

Call the pros.

Deneo

Lock your Daughters up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV Statesman
Yeah, You usual windscreen shop will charge you around $100-$150 if you take it there. Done usually within an hour.
+1 For call the pros.

comaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs esteem S2 manual
Sounds like ill just leave it to the pro's then, thanks for the tip

Paiste402

My workin on the car face
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
ive seen home job windscreens done. they dont sit right, they leak and they dont come off well either cause they go to town with the glues n **** which are the wrong sorts.

all up for servicing ur own car but windscreens are a little tricky

VSPantha

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS V8
Definately get the guys who do this everyday for a living to do it... the last thing you want is to have water leaking in your cabin... and for the price of buying the windscreen, the tools and the sealant used you'd probably end up paying more than just getting a pro to do it.

And if the screen breaks when your install it, then you're up for another one... also you'll have something to fall back on getting pro's to do it if anything goes wrong down the track (i.e. leaks etc)

I had mine replaced when i bought the car and it cost $195... but they had to travel 60k's round trip to do it so probably paid a bit more for them coming to me.