Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel additives/ injector cleaners

Greg_Sian

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore, VT S 97
Anyone got any idea which (if any) additives are best to give fuel system/injectors a good clean, currently getting around 14.5l/100km (with a trip to Sydney coming up this weekend) 70% city 30% highway,3.8lt auto. Changed Air filter, plugs. Code 12 on computer check, last full tank only showed 520k's to go. Man 700k's to 900k's from a tank like some others would be bliss!

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Don't waste your money. If you want clean injectors, get them ultrasonically cleaned, whilst they are removed from your car.

If you want high octane fuel, fill up with 98RON..

A lot of these additives eat away at your fuel system, doing more harm then good.. Don't even bother wasting your cash..

knowledge_is_power

Quest for Cognition
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII V6 A4
You could try using Holden’s Top Engine Cleaner. I use it often, works well. If your injectors are really bad it will only help a little. Do the ultrasonic cleaning if this is the case. Also check your leads, if there is missing. Also depending on how many Km's you may need new O2 sensors on the exhaust. They control the fine tuning of the fuel ratios. Also if you are using an oiled after market air filter, this can oil the MAF and distort air flow readings. Then there is how you drive your car on the highway. Ecotechs have a lean cruise mode, in easy terms, it makes the car use less fuel but only under certain conditions. See >Here< for an explanation But generally don't use more then 45% throttle on the highway to save fuel.

Greg_Sian

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore, VT S 97
I will run a cleaner through it next fill, if it improves a lot i will let you know, if it doesn't i'll work my way through it, leads, then sensors, full injector clean, all else fails i'll get dirving tips off my mum, lol

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Any manufacturer will give you reasons why their product is NEEDED..

bradvt98

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt executive
has anyone used shell advance M racing oil (SAE 30)

mate of mine said gives your valves that bit extra lubrication and stuff but what i want to know is that it says it's for 2 or 4 stoke racing engines which burn alcohol or methanol miixtures is it ok to add to normal fuel just double checkin before i add it

i was told to add one or two cap fulls to a tank of fuel
and it does say self mixing in leaded and unleaded petrol so is it all good

and cool thing is he said it gives off a race fuel smell to