Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Consumption

lil lady

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl Berlina
Hiya,
I've had my vl a couple of months, and thought that the amount of kms i do per tank of petrol was fine (218kms). After talking to a friend, who told me he was getting 440kms to a tank, is this true? Can anyone tell me if this is right? If yes, how can i improve it?

Thanks

Danni

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International
your not alone i get around about the same per tank and im thinking my consumption is to do with the device that adds a bit extra fuel when the car has a cold start and is meant to turn off once the engine has warmed up because almost everything else has been checked

GunnyVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
if i fill my tank in my vl i can get 300km to a half a tank on high way driving. This is also running premium. I have pacemaker extracters 2.5inch exhaust with hiflow cat, lucky air filter and two hiclones in my air intake. i also replaced my oxygen sesor. These things helped my fuel consumption.

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
OXY sensor will play a role in this as well as AFM settings being too rich. meaning you should lean out the air/fuel mix

TO CHECK AND ADJUST MIXTURE:
1. start and run the engine until its at operating temperature
2. set idle speed and timing to specified values
3. take off the passenger kick panel to view the LED's on the ECU
4. start and run the motor at 2000rpm for 2 mins
5. check the flashes from the LED's on the ecu while at 2000rpm, they should both flash together more than 5 times every 10 seconds. if they don't you have ecu or oxygen sensor issues (refer to the picture at the bottom explaining the interpretation of flashes other than what are stated)
6. if there are more than 5 flashes per 10 secs, stop the engine, disconnect the wiring connector from the AAC valve and the throttle switch
7. start and run the engine at 2000rpm for 2 mins
8. let the engine idle
9. the leds should now flash simultaneously
10. if the green light is flashing more the mixture is lean, if the red is flashing more the mixture is richer than it should be.
10. if the LED's do not flash together remove the plug next to the Air flow meter connector and adjust the screw until they flash together (clockwise raises the resistance and leans the mixture, anti clockwise lowers the resistance and richens the mixture)
11. replace the plug, replace the AAC and throttle switch connectors and return to instruction 4. do the test again to check that the mixture is now right

for further info on getting the l running right click http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...ne-troubleshooting-maintenance-step-step.html

Last edited:

Nobody Actually

luxo barge
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 wm Caprice
OXY sensor will play a role in this as well as AFM settings being too rich. meaning you should lean out the air/fuel mix

TO CHECK AND ADJUST MIXTURE:
1. start and run the engine until its at operating temperature
2. set idle speed and timing to specified values
3. take off the passenger kick panel to view the LED's on the ECU
4. start and run the motor at 2000rpm for 2 mins
5. check the flashes from the LED's on the ecu while at 2000rpm, they should both flash together more than 5 times every 10 seconds. if they don't you have ecu or oxygen sensor issues (refer to the picture at the bottom explaining the interpretation of flashes other than what are stated)
6. if there are more than 5 flashes per 10 secs, stop the engine, disconnect the wiring connector from the AAC valve and the throttle switch
7. start and run the engine at 2000rpm for 2 mins
8. let the engine idle
9. the leds should now flash simultaneously
10. if the green light is flashing more the mixture is lean, if the red is flashing more the mixture is richer than it should be.
10. if the LED's do not flash together remove the plug next to the Air flow meter connector and adjust the screw until they flash together (clockwise raises the resistance and leans the mixture, anti clockwise lowers the resistance and richens the mixture)
11. replace the plug, replace the AAC and throttle switch connectors and return to instruction 4. do the test again to check that the mixture is now right
12. if the mixture cannot be adjusted so that the leds flash together

for further info on getting the l running right click http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...ne-troubleshooting-maintenance-step-step.html

beat me to it. also, you can use an multi-metre to check that your air-flow metre. cbf remembering what setting, but run a search, i'm sure it's been posted a couple hundred times.

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
I think its normal for the tailpipe to be black on unleaded so you cant tell if the engine is rich or lean from it

boobotam

Reaction score
thats good! I would get straight onto it, as thats pretty poor economy