Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Consumption

yeeros

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive 3.8
the only way to get ok consumption figures is to drive like a granny. off the line in economy mode(good up to about 50km/h, where you need to put it in pwr mode for 50-70km/h), you need to keep the engine between 1500-2000 rpm, which is the speed the engine runs at on the highway @100-110km/h, as well as always driving in that zone when you apply acceleration. the reason being that the ecu cuts fuel out so the wheels momentum drives the engine at the same time. but the downside to this is that when you pass the rpm range in question, the computer dumps fuel in like there's no tomorrow..... the only real solution is a piggy back computer and a nice dyno tune. not only will it give you better economy, but it will increase your horsepower which is a little lackluster in standard form.... oh and since the computer has a (map/maf???) sensor, using expensive fuel won't do a thing. i find shell (all their fuels in general even if i dont always use their product all the time) ULP is most efficient, as i also use it in my vh (as it needs 98ron) and it performs quite well...

also when accelerating hard, keep revs in the 2500-3000rpm zone as engines are at their natural efficiency zone.(notice 4cyl engines @2500rpm on 100km/h)...

my consumption without the 1500rpm trick can be close to 18L/100kms,
my consumption with the 1500rpm trick can be closer to 14L/100kms, but my engine is always cold as it is used for short trips, approx 25km/h avg.

Slow_Az

Reaction score
Members Ride
04' VY s11 Cosmo "S"
filled up on western ring rd mobil (inbound). when i got to the burnley tunnel, i looked down to see magic! avg speed 78.2km/h 6.7l/100km! then i pulled up in the drive way at home and looked again. 8.8l/100km and 60km/h. looked good while it lasted LOL