Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

fuel consumptions for ya commodore 6

CALAIS 6

snowballing
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz exec
yeh but ur forgeting the nissan motor is a straight six and they tend to suck a bit more fuel

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
my1stVL said:
yeh but ur forgeting the nissan motor is a straight six and they tend to suck a bit more fuel

I dont think there is any real relation to fuel economy and having a straight 6 or a V6....Fords straight six chews alot of petrol because its a 4.0L and its made by FORD lol...
I dont know many other major car companies that still use a straight 6 other than some Lexus models and also all BMW 6 cylinder cars are straight 6 engines, and BMW isnt too shabby with their fuel economy.

Dont get me wrong though, the RB30 is a great engine and incredibly reliable.

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
The early days of emmission controls?

Not only were the Holdens post 1976 fuel guzzlers, they were down on power too.

The VB Commodore base model inline 6 (the old 173) put out a whopping 61 KWfrom memory. The 202 as "good" for 66 KW.

Thankfully, power, efficiency and drivability have all improved in leaps and bounds since those days.

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
One thing we found with our recently-bought VX-II Lumina with the ecotec was that, when we bought it, the fuel consumption was abysmal...we used to get great economy out of the VS-II, and I assumed that with all the mods and claims of "greater power and economy" from the VX V6, we would do better. Wrong. We were suddenly spending about $65-plus a week on juice, occasionally $70...with the VS, it had been $45 to $50, and boy was I pissed off! We were driving exactly the same, about the usual number of kilometers each week, but the damn thing was drinking like a fish!
One day when poking around under the bonnet, just checking out the differences between our old VS and the VX-II, just out of curiousity I decided to have a look at the air cleaner element and see how new it was. Hmm, I thought...only one of the clips was holding the air box lid shut, and it was leaning up and open most of the way around! I clipped it back down properly, and Lo and behold, a week later, the car was using out usual $45 to $50 a week, and it is unusual in a normal week to go over $50 or so...before this it was a shock to spend anything under $60!. It also has a pleasant induction growl now when you give it some.
I am no expert on the black art of fuel injection, but I would assume that the incorrectly sealed airbox was fooling the air flow meter somehow, telling the computer that there was whacking great masses of air flowing in, and therefore telling it to dump heaps of petrol into the motor? Anyone more knowledgeable have any further ideas? All I know is that with absolutely no change in our driving habits or average number of kilometers travelled each week, we saved anywhere from 15 to 20 bucks (maybe more) a week by clipping down the lid of the airbox properly. Nothing else was touched under the bonnet.

As I said, anyone more knowledgable about EFI have an theories?

Last edited:

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
I get 270km average to 70 litres. Can someone tell me how i fit 71 litres into a 63 litre tank with a V6 VP. And it doesn't look like the V8 one. And on the side it has a mark that reads LE. And my tank has a big dint.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Get around 13L/100k... with the help of the M90 lol. My old VS (at a guess, no trip computer) was around 11-12L/100K.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
how can a six drink so much
14.2 city
8.9 hwy thats what mine drinks (genIII)