Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Economy Question

F

foxinjox

fuel economy

try cleaning throttle body and IAC Valve.
try checking for vacuum leaks ... at vacuum hoses, throttle body and inlet manifold
try checking coolant temp sensor
try checking thermostat
could be faulty air flow sensor
could be leaking injectors
could be faulty inlet air temp sensor
most likely plugs, leads, fuel /air filter

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
im geting around the 500km mark to with me driving (aint no granny driver) when i first got me vr it was using 16.6lt/100km i replaced the filter then used 13lt per 100km then i replaced my oxy sensor fuel pump and pressure regulator and i get about 11-12 now (around 9 on the highway)

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Jeez, that makes my day, my stock VS wagon loaded with all my tools, put the last fuel in since warning light went on, put $50 worth of fuel in @ $1.26 / lit std unleaded (you do the maths) it's got 240 kms on the trip meter now and has still got just under 1/5th tank left probably another 150 kms or so left, 241,000 kms on the stock V6 Ecotec engine, std tank.

It's called a right foot problem, easy to control, with age...

new NGK plugs, K&N air filters, Ryco all the rest, Mobil S engine Oil, really nothin special just a bog stock VS crumpledoor.

Economy setting always, a/c on always, use 3rd gear round town (stops it running on and has more instant power), (3rd is top gear anyway), Drive or 4th only used out on the highway or over 90-110 km's/hr (auto 4th is overdrive) and labouring the engine round town always uses more fuel no matter what the car.

A

AKII1R

ive got a vs wagon, with a fullload of work gear i get warning light at 550k's. slight improvement with cai. changed the fuel filter recently made a big difference in km's and responsiveness 2 acceleration. how many k's u got left when warning light comes on?

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Honestly Dunno ? but having previously had a diesel 4.2 landcruiser running out of fuel with "any" injected engine is not recomended, why I got fuel straight away to be sure, the guy that sold the VS looked at the guage and said there was enough to go nearly another 100kms, a min later the warning light + alarm came on (scared the crap out of me as I couldnt see the light for my hand) so ya certainly won't miss it.

Even with a drum of fuel spare I would not try it as an experiment, having to prime the pump and all the injectors then hope it would start without killing the 900cca battery, the diesel never was allowed to go past 1/4 tank, it would get 650+ kms from 90 lit tank, Brisbane to Rocky with some to get to Yeppoon, another 42 Kms.

Koontz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
Brian Sutherland said:
Hi Folks,

My economy went from 500+Km a tank to 300km overnight.
Started watching these forums and did the following.

Replaced PLUGS, Leads, Air Filter(DIRTY), replaced oil and fiter.
Got 350km a tank.
Replaced BOTH O2 (oxygen) sensors, put at least two doses of fuel injector cleaner thru.
Now getting 500KM max.

Still think the injectors or fuel pump are not 100 percent but only guessing.
All done within 6 weeks.

Brian

were your O2 sensors 4 wire of 2 wire?