Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel economy questions

LeaThaL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 1 sedan
Hey all

just doing the usual things to the commodore, as usual its had

new leads,
new plugs
all oils changed
trans serviced
02 sensor changed blah blah blah

my 2 questions are...

1)what are most getting out of a tank with normal driving and maybe a punch from the lights maybe once a week/month? as i had 3/4 of a tank and she was gone in 200kms, and thats 2 trips up the highway included :s

and 2) what do most peoples autos sit at on 100kms? as mine sits on 2k at 100 but it only seems weird to me as my mates vn use to sit on 1100 on the highway at 100 and seemed to use way way less fuel all together

before i did the auto service (the oil was really brown and fubard!) i was following the girlfrend home and she was driving the VR and i noticed that it blew some burn fuel (black smoke) when it it seemed the car would be changing gears :S

my VR wagons gauge didnt work (fuel or odometer) so i dont know what kms it was doing but she would take $60 and i could drive 20 mins to work every day and back and around town for 5-6 days before needing fuel so yeahh

cheers all in advance

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Have you replaced the air and fuel filters.They make a big difference to economy when they get blocked up.

LeaThaL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 1 sedan
yeah ive done the air filter and it was dirty and heck, almost say it was the orignal one! :p

but fuel filter no.... i wanna do them as soon as i start work again (a week or so)

the fuel use got fair better once i serviced the transmission so yeah, ill have to get new fuel filters really soon,

cheers champ

moff_man

operation HQ under way.
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR II berlina wagon v6, 72 HQ ute 253
i get average on the high way 8.9 and i have seen as low as 6.9 (l3 cluster) round town with long 50km/h streets and stop start, i get an average of 12.5 or so

dont over look charge rate of the battery also, when all else is done the battery and alternator must also be good to get good ecconmey, also whan all plugs, leads, filters and oil is all done, disconnect the battery for a min or too to reset the computer. this resets the defoult values in the computer and will reset the counters, if you get what i mean.

my tip on my exhust was as black as the ace of spaids and i tryed everything to stop the fuel coumption, in the end i had a foulty reg.
also it ued to smell like rotten egg gas out the rear ( i did blame the fuel at one stage but since found it is not the fuel) replaced the reg that was charging just on 12.2v at idle no loads 11.5 with loads to a new unit and now chages at 14.5v. with no smell and realy good econmey

LeaThaL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 1 sedan
good info dude, ive been meaning to reset the ecu for a bit now but i keep getting caught up, ill do it this weekend when i fix a leak ive found :)

and ive checked my alternator already, a good strong 14.2 constantly, ive had alot of car issues with alternators but i studyed them and always sus them out when i get a new car now :p

ill ust have to replace most things one by one as i know for a fact that the old owner just didnt give and crap and drove the car no matter what problems it had :p

cheers

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
We get 700kms to tank in the mrs VR, And at 100kms its about 1800rpm. And yes change the fuel filter, we gained quite a bit. Also found using GM plugs gave us 100kms extra to a tank, appose to Bosch plugs

LeaThaL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 1 sedan
thats weird but i guess their made EXACTLY for that motor so it makes sense also :p

i have found a water leak that runs directly pass the sensor under the alternator that everyone rants causes issues so that was litterly just fixed then so im hoping that helps, also i reset the ecu so it can learn its fuel patteren again and hopefully get some more mileage

cheers for the info dude!

94vrcaprice

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
99 wh caprice
i get about 400 on a 1/4 of a tank on the freeways and 200 on stop start not sure on how far i can get on a full tank as i never let it get under 3/4 but even at 3/4 my range till empty is about 480 to 600

dan202

ITZ A PIG
Reaction score
Members Ride
I HOT VR
i get 7.9-8.5 to the 100 clicks no matter how its driven but really good now hit a roo and got no fuel bill at all

Leathal11

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 6spd Ute / VS 5spd L67 Ute III
iv been getting 300 to a tank :(
but lately been getting 400 and thats driving in 5th in a 60zone lol so revs sit at like 1k but i think i need new o2 sensors