Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel filler insert

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
Can anyone shed any light on the purpose of the insert pictured?
This is what melted into the bituminous crap that I have taken a photo of in the "What did you do to your VR/VS today". IMG_1547.JPGIMG_1540.JPG The insert is half way out with the metal retainer removed,and actually fits inside of the filler joiner.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Anti syphon ?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Where is factory filler neck?

Should only have short thick rubber piece between filler neck & tank. Other broken pieces guessing wrong type of hose used not correct submersible hose...pics look bizarre tbh

Reactions: Lex

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
The factory filler neck is still on car,tank is out.
It does have the short thick rubber piece, but it's still on the filler tube.

Took tank out to clean the return hose bits out.This is on a series 2 VS wagon,I got a sender unit from a VS wagon at upullit and the return hose was the same as this one,yellow and snapped off at the quick connect fitting. I'm not sure if this is wagon specific thing but I may go back to upullit and see if it has the same insert although VS are getting scarce at upullit.

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
Just checked u pull it stock list and a VS sedan came in today so i'll go up tomorrow and have a look to see if has same insert. The only reason I can think of for the insert is to control the direction of flow of fuel into the tank,or maybe to stop fuel sloshing up the filler neck. One thing I have noticed is these tanks are not baffled...

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
i can see the remains of the plastic breather hose from the filler to the tank
the hose in the tank is connected to the swirl pot by a a push pull connect seen a bloke on the fb vr/vs owners group use a stiff bit of wire to pull it out and push it back in

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
I had a look at the VS wagon at u pull it and it had nothing in the tank neck, it did seem to have had the breather tubes done at some stage but obviously the sender/pump was original.

I had a look at a VS sedan and that had nothing in the neck either, but the tank is a different shape, so whatever the insert is it's not going back in to drip shite.

Bonus of the day I FOUND a 10mm socket. Probably the one I lost up there the last time...