Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

'Fuel Gauge Error - Contact Dealer'.

jackcurrie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged Series II VY.
Tried a search, but found that basically everyone else with this problem either had the car actually play up, or just didnt have it exactly like my issue.

Anyway, when I drive, occasionally, I will hear a beep and 'fuel gauge error, contact dealer' will show up. But heres the catch, it will beep, beep, beep, etc. It'll fix itself instantly, have a fault again, instant fix, fault again. Sometimes the beeps literally overlap because of how quickly it disappears and comes back. Makes it seem like its a faulty wire coming loose or something, but I dont know where to start?

The car itself doesnt play up at all while this happens, and its not low fuel. The fuel gauge never actually ends up faulty, it just beeps and carries on for a few minutes, and always ends up working in the end. This has happened more frequently lately.

What has me worried is that in all other posts where this was an issue, cars werent starting? Wanted to get it sorted before/incase it got to that point. Any hints?

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
by the sounds of it you have a short in a wire or the electronic readout part is playing up,others may know more

brinz96VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Calais
jackcurrie very interested to see how did you go with the error?
my VY wagon has been doing exactly this, repeating the message over and over whilst the fuel gauge oscillates between F and E.
have you replaced anything yet?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
the cluster is not getting the signal from the sender.

You get this message if you the wrong series VY cluster in a car. (from memory it's putting a S1 cluster into a S2 car - just reads dead empty and beeps.)

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
jackcurrie very interested to see how did you go with the error?
my VY wagon has been doing exactly this, repeating the message over and over whilst the fuel gauge oscillates between F and E.
have you replaced anything yet?

Been chasing a similar issue with my SS. After spending lots and replacing things i think we have narrowed down to cluster problem. Check my thread for an update on weather we can fix it or not.

Keysy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY V6 sedan
I have the exact same problem with my vy v6 auto

I have no clue what started it but like you read a lot of people with a similar issue, but also my gauge is incorrect I ran dry one day it said I had quarter of a tank but she was empty haha

Let me know if anyone knows
Fix , highly annoying driving around hearing the beep beep constantly does my head in

Mine settles when the tank is on the lower half aswell

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I have the exact same problem with my vy v6 auto

I have no clue what started it but like you read a lot of people with a similar issue, but also my gauge is incorrect I ran dry one day it said I had quarter of a tank but she was empty haha

Let me know if anyone knows
Fix , highly annoying driving around hearing the beep beep constantly does my head in

Mine settles when the tank is on the lower half aswell

if the cluster has been changed at all, it can be set for a S/C fuel tank setting or a wagon, this will give incorrect readings. But would be all the time. So the if the gauge is reading wrong, it can be the sender not sending correctly, the wires making bad contact, the ecu not processing the info correctly or the cluster not processing the values correctly.

So if you know the cluster is programmed correctly (with Tech 2) it will most likely be 1 of the 4 things I said above.

brinz96VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Calais
if the cluster has been changed at all, it can be set for a S/C fuel tank setting or a wagon, this will give incorrect readings. But would be all the time. So the if the gauge is reading wrong, it can be the sender not sending correctly, the wires making bad contact, the ecu not processing the info correctly or the cluster not processing the values correctly.

So if you know the cluster is programmed correctly (with Tech 2) it will most likely be 1 of the 4 things I said above.

Hi 88GreenVN,

I have just changed the fuel sender & pump assembly over and now the gauge displays full when it isnt!
Now the needle is reading inaccurately, but the 'Fuel Gauge Error - Contact Dealer' chime has ceased.
I have the correct unit for the VY II. Prior to changing the sender the gauge worked perfectly.
I have checked the cluster menu and the sender has voltage, and the computer is is reading 100ohms which should be about 1/2 a tank. (according to the max ellery manual)
The cluster is original.

Any ideas?

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
Hi 88GreenVN,

I have just changed the fuel sender & pump assembly over and now the gauge displays full when it isnt!
Now the needle is reading inaccurately, but the 'Fuel Gauge Error - Contact Dealer' chime has ceased.
I have the correct unit for the VY II. Prior to changing the sender the gauge worked perfectly.
I have checked the cluster menu and the sender has voltage, and the computer is is reading 100ohms which should be about 1/2 a tank. (according to the max ellery manual)
The cluster is original.

Any ideas?

You'll need a tech2. Go into the fuel sender options through tech2 and re-select sedan. For some reason when the sender is replaced it defaults to ute.

brinz96VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Calais
ok, cheers for that. ute senders are mounted horizontally if im not mistaken?

would that explain why I have just filled it and its now reading empty?
computer readouts are opposite to what they should be.

thanks NU13