Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel gauge gone crazy???

mitch01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX exec. ser.1
Yesterday I started up my car to find the fuel gauge reading half full, when I know the tank was very nearly empty last time I drove it.
Sure enough over the next ten minutes the gauge went down quite quickly so i put $20 of petrol in it before heading off on a drive.
THEN - after driving about 80 km i switch the engine off & when i turn it back on the gauge just plummets to zero and i get warning lights and everything, even though there's no way I could use 20 litres of petrol to travel 80 klm.
I don't think its got any idea how much petrol is in the tank lol!!!

Is there a way to reset the gauge or something?

M

Matt74

Hi Mitch. I have had similar problems and realised it was from parking and starting the car on a slope.

Cheers :drink:

Matt

D

Desmo900

Holdens Problem

This is a common problem with vx/vy commodores and should have been fixed under factory warranty. Mine used to run out of petrol but the trip computer said 80-100km and 1/4 tank. Re-calibration of gauge and sender is required.

Trevor 062

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SSV REDLINE & 07 VZ ACCLAIM WAGON
VT's stuff up as well..got mine fixed on warranty lasted 2 years & stuffed up again..when the tank is full it reads empty with warning lamp on..finally kicks in when tank is half full..

mitch01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX exec. ser.1
hmmm. unfortunately the car is out of the 3 year warranty period. Perhaps I'll just get holden to look at it at my next service which is coming up soon. do you think they would charge much to do it out of warranty or is it fairly simple to do?