Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel gauge is telling me lies

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
what is the km fuel left figure telling you in the mode part

could be an instument problem or the float level position or sender

can you not bend the float arm to suit ?

hard to know how to sort this-- you need two people ...one to play with the sender and one to watch the guage

its the price of the fuel that is the biggest lie :upyours:

Last edited:

gm1961

Reaction score
Hi All

disregarding any other issue, if your car was bought used it may have had a sender unit or dash changed, if so the dash gauge may be from a sedan or wagon or ute etc???

Is there not a recalibration process where the car dash is reset up and the needles are all moved to the 1/2 way mark ( all of them fuel , temp , speedo , tacho )

But the easy test is to wait until the car is at half way and fill up the car, i think VT has a 75 litre tank ( when i fill mine up at 1/4 empty it takes 55-60 between the 1/4 and the red 65-70 litres that is the lowest i let it go )
so at 1/2 way you should fill up with say anywhere from 35-40 litres , it it takes 50 its way down and the guage reads high

Failing that the remove the sender and swing the arm from high to low will make the gauge move , the only problem is if the sender is not the correct one for the tank eg different tank shape again wagon / ute what happens here is that inside the tank as the arm swings in may get caught on something in the tank, imagine something stopping the arm going down all the way

regards
george

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
Hi All

disregarding any other issue, if your car was bought used it may have had a sender unit or dash changed, if so the dash gauge may be from a sedan or wagon or ute etc???

Is there not a recalibration process where the car dash is reset up and the needles are all moved to the 1/2 way mark ( all of them fuel , temp , speedo , tacho )

But the easy test is to wait until the car is at half way and fill up the car, i think VT has a 75 litre tank ( when i fill mine up at 1/4 empty it takes 55-60 between the 1/4 and the red 65-70 litres that is the lowest i let it go )
so at 1/2 way you should fill up with say anywhere from 35-40 litres , it it takes 50 its way down and the guage reads high

Failing that the remove the sender and swing the arm from high to low will make the gauge move , the only problem is if the sender is not the correct one for the tank eg different tank shape again wagon / ute what happens here is that inside the tank as the arm swings in may get caught on something in the tank, imagine something stopping the arm going down all the way

regards
george

Good to know. My Caprice is doing the same sort of thing, I think.. Had it 2 weeks now and the fuel goes low, then next time I drive it, the fuel shows quarter full. Just like the Centura gauge used to do...

WHCapriceHBD aka 440Twinturbo on Moparmarket ;)

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ive seen fuel gauge readings get stuffed up after a new fuel pump has been fitted. This happens because the float arm can get bent slightly as the float/pump assembly is removed/refitted to the tank. You can gently bend the float arm up or down(depending on the gauge reading) to fix the problem. Say your gauge shows a quarter tank of fuel when the car runs out of fuel, then bend the float arm up slightly to make the gauge read lower. Also, a syphoning hose shoved right down into the fuel tank can make contact with the float/float arm, which can also stuff up the gauge readings...