Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel gauge issues... again!!

msf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 S2
Have you checked engineering mode to see what it actually says about 'remaining fuel'. If this doesn't change randomly maybe the dash indicator is faulty?

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International
I haven't but holden have 'faulted it' not sure of that just means theyve seen the needle move though. Fuel USED is consistent, I'll check the fuel remaining.

Are there instructions on here how to go into engineering mode? Or in the owners manual

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok, so checked engeneering mode, thanks for that suggestion again! The problem is stil occurring though, but it has helped to 'manage' the issue.

Now! I think we may be closer to a solution. Fuel senders replaced twice, and STRAIGHT AWAY one of the sender units failed (brand new part). SO what would possibly cause this?

By the way, I used unleaded91.

mint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Analytically speaking, I'd ask myself - what's the likelihood of this rare problem striking the same person twice?

What is the mechanism in the tank? Sounds like the only thing they haven't replaced@!

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Could it be an earth problem?

(fuel gauge reading incorrectly/inconsistent PLUS fuel sender units failing)

I'vve been doing a little bit of research, and as far as possible this is the only thing that seems to be able to cause the problems I'm having, but again I'm really not sure :/

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
I know this might be getting annoying but 6 times back to holden and done a fair bit of reading up on similar fuel gauge issues but still no solution!

My gauge is about half a tank out (fluctuates between full tank and half tank for example)

Fuel sender units, fuel pump replaced. Earths and wiring checked and holden say they're all ok.

What's next!? What else could it be?

I know I keep asking but still no one seems to know and the problem keeps getting worse. Hoping someone might know... Hoping

Anthssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SSV sports wagon series 2
Hi I don't know if this is the Problem your having but seeing as your not getting many answers this may help.
In 2002 I brought a brand new VY Sv8 not long after I had it I got a letter saying there was a recall and it was to do with the fuel gauge giving arctic readings and that I should bring my car into a dealer so it can be recalibrated. I never had a problem with my fuel gauge but still took it in for the recall. I know yours is a different model but I didn't read anything about you saying the gauge being calibrated.
Cheers and I hope u find out what's wrong, it would drive me nuts.