Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel gauge was working,put petrol in now doesnt work???

slappedvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
Hey guys i just bought a vn s pac and whilst i was driving it home there was just under a 1/4 of a tank. i stopped at the servo on the way home and put $30 in it. i started the car and the gauge went up to around half a tank, all was good. i then arrived home and the gauge was on dead empty (below E) and now it doesnt move?. how does this happen? cheers

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
oh also if you want to get a quick reading from your fuel gauge, just reach in through the steering wheel and give the clear plastic a knuckle knock (not too aggressive) should pop up.

slappedvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
ive read that thread and it doesnt answer my question. i have tried hitting it but it doesnt move.

Zapp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
slap the top of the dash and it will work again. its a built in feature from Holden to stop you wife from using all your petrol.
Zapp

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
its a built in feature from Holden to stop you wife from using all your petrol.

It also deters thieves from driving off, they hot wire it, see there is no petrol and bugger off to find one with a full tank.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
you have to figure weather its the sender unit in the petrol tank thats the problem or just your gauge cluster that needs a rebuild... inside the cluster theres a voltage regulator board that will have dry solder and cracked pins, which will all have to be re-soldered. if you cant be stuffed you can send your cluster off to 88greenvn for a reco and a fee. cluster to tank sender problems are like 10 to 1 so id start there....

88greenvn-albums-other-stuff-picture88066-voltage-reg-pin-number-1-cracks.jpg

rancox265

Rancox265
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP Ute
My VP ute's gauge is sticky, stays at E when it's freshly started after sitting a spell (ie overnight), then suddenly it's working fine until I park it for a while. Is that normal?

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
if you give the clear plastic window a knuckle knock and it comes up its most likely the same thing as discussed in the above posts. even if it dosent come up its probably still the same problem. the voltage regulator has dry solder points or there might be some cracked pins on the board as well. only one way to find out is take out the cluster and inspect your board...