Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Pick cuts out when turning right

Charles Parnis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SLR
Hi all wondering if anyone has had this issue before or come across and what can be done ...
Turning right only and giving it a bit of stick the the engine cuts out ( like it got no fuel) once I back off it picks up again ... ( changed fuel pump ) fuel line pressure tested new fillets done .... strange one as it doesn't do it when turning left or on a straight line...

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Very common indeed, surprised the topic hasn't come up more frequently.

It's the return line inside the tank that's broken off of the swirl pot fitting.

The pump picks up fuel from inside the swirl pot and the return line from via the fuel injection components feeds unused fuel directly to the swirl pot.

So what's happens is when the tank falls below a quarter of a tank the level of the fuel inside the tank is lower than the top of the swirl pot and thus there's hardly any fuel for the pump to pick up. When you do a sharp right hand turn all the fuel moves abruptly over to the LH side of the tank and also what's in the swirl pot moves away from the fuel pick up, thus the engine starves of fuel and can totally cut out.

It's a very dangerous situation indeed.

Now fixing it is a very hard thing to do as access to the swirl pot inside the tank is very restricted by the small hole that the fuel pump mounts into. I had my very skinny 8 year old do it for me as his hand slid straight in through the hole and he's rather adept with hand tools, apart from that there have been a few other methods used and described on the forum here. Just use the search facility and you'll find some of the goofy posts about this topic.

Charles Parnis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SLR
it was doing it even at 1/2 tank thats when I first noticed it ....
we are pulling out the tank getting it redone, hopefully that will fix up the issue

Charles Parnis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SLR
so far ... new fuel lines new filter new pump will get back once the tank is done

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
From the avatar pic, we're keen for a build thread too

Charles Parnis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SLR
I thinking while Im opening it up might as well reco the whole thing , that way I know thats done

Last edited:

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
I am a fan of the hose tied to the pump trick. my hands are too big to fit in the tank, and I don't want to cut it open.
so far I have been pretty happy with the results in a few of my 2nd gen girls.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
The hose needs to go the the swirl pot connection so it draws more fuel in to keep the pump cool.