Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel sender and fuel Gauge

Sphector89

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 2 Vx Berlina
Hey all I am having some issues with my Vx SS and was wondering if anyone can help, Ive done a search already but no threads come up that are similar to my issue.

A few months ago my fuel pump went bad so I went to Sherrifs Rd Auto, a mechanic who has worked on my dads cars for years to get a new one put in.
A few weeks later I noticed that my L/100 wasn't very good compared to before, I was only getting 250km to a tank which is 150km less than what I was getting previously. Also the needle didn't go all the way to the top either, about 3mm below the mark, and it would go down ludicrously fast.

So I filled up and it only took 35L to fill up which was strange considering it is a 75L tank. Did the maths and I was getting roughly 14L/100 which means almost 500kms to a tank, but the fuel gauge was saying I was empty after 250km.
I know that the gauge/trip computer isn't to be relied upon but It couldn't be that inaccurate.

Spoke to my dads mate who is a mechanic for Holden and he says the fuel pump was probably installed wrong or the guy bent the float arm or something, I asked about re calibration and he said it shouldn't be required.

Went back to Sherrifs Rd Auto and told them the part they supplied wasn't working properly so they rang their supplier, who then rang whoever they get the pumps from who said the gauge needs to be re calibrated for the new pump, somehow the supplier and the mechanic didn't know this(lolwat?).

Vick the guy who owns Sherrfis Rd Auto then organised for me to go to his sons workshop, Dantrak Auto to get it re calibrated free of charge.

So this morning I took it down there and he was done in 20mins, I filled up on the way home and low and behold the needle doesn't go to the full mark still. Ill have to wait to next week to use all the fuel and see how fast it goes down.

Does anyone know WTF is happening? I want to sell it and get a v6 but I can't while this is happening, I don't want to sell someone a dodgy car.

Thanks in advance

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
Spoke to my dads mate who is a mechanic for Holden and he says the fuel pump was probably installed wrong or the guy bent the float arm or something,
you answered your own question
either that or a poor quality part fitted

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Don't know a lot about the fuel pumps in the VX but the series 2 have a different pump/sender to the series 1, not sure if they are interchangeable but might pay to check the right pump was fitted.

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Wrong part or incorrectly installed.. Get them to give you a refund if they cant fix it. Go see Daniel at Olsen Automotive Lonsdale. He will do it right the first time.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
+1 for bent float....

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Interesting note in the Holden VT/VX maintenance CD which may be relevant to your problem.

"IMPORTANT: The fuel strainer must be in a horizontal position when the sender assembly is installed. Ensure the fuel strainer does not block the travel of the float arm."

There is no mention of fuel gauge calibration required only the idle learn procedure and functional check as described below:

"You must then follow the Idle Learn Procedure in order for the PCM to learn and reestablish the IAC valve position.

IDLE LEARN PROCEDURE
Whenever the PCM or the battery is disconnected or the PCM loses power, the PCM’s learned position of the IAC valve pintle is lost, resulting in an unstable idle. Perform the following procedure in order to return
the IAC valve pintle to the correct position:

Automatic Transmission
1. Turn OFF the ignition.
2. Restore the PCM battery feed.
3. Turn OFF the A/C controls.
4. Set the park brake and block the drive wheels.
5. Start the engine.
6. Shift the transmission selector to D (drive).
7. Allow the engine to idle for 10 minutes.
8. Turn ON the A/C controls.
9. Allow the engine to idle for 10 minutes.
10. Shift the transmission selector to P (park).
11. Allow the engine to idle for 10 minutes.
12. Turn OFF the A/C controls.
13. Allow the engine to idle for 10 minutes.
14. Turn OFF the engine for 30 seconds.

Manual Transmission
1. Turn OFF the ignition.
2. Restore the PCM battery feed.
3. Turn OFF the A/C controls.
4. Set the park brake and block the drive wheels.
5. Place the transmission in neutral.
6. Start the engine.
7. Turn ON the A/C controls.
8. Allow the engine to idle for 10 minutes.
9. Turn OFF the A/C controls.
10. Allow the engine to idle for 10 minutes.
11. Turn OFF the engine for 30 seconds.

FUNCTIONAL CHECK
1. Clear the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).
2. Perform the Powertrain OBD System Check.
3. Start the engine and idle for one minute.
4. Use the Tech 2 scan tool to check for DTCs"

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
that gets the old memory going ,there is a choice between wagon and sedan so maybe a different pump/level