Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Sender

misshsv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 HSV Clubsport
Hey all,

I have been told that my fuel sender may need repair, can anyone tell me what that entails and is it a DIY job or def something to leave for the shop?

The repair guys have changed the filter and pump, but my car still isnt kicking over and there is no fuel indication noise happening to say any fuel is getting to where it needs to go.

St3alth187

More time than money
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 3.8L Manual
Is your fuel pump actually getting power ?
Check your relays etc.

As for the fuel sender, its not a too difficult job. Tricky part is connecting the hoses inside the tank. Its up to you.. Nothing is impossible with time and patience.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Faulty fuel sender will not stop the car from running. Get another mechanic.

misshsv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 HSV Clubsport
Apparently it is getting power and the relays are all good

Can you point me in the right direction to a how to guide for doing the fuel sender, Ive got time and patience TIA

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Do a serch on here for "Fuel return hose".

misshsv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 HSV Clubsport
Ive got a feeling that the mechanic done nothing to my car as nothing looks touched (if that makes sense) how do I check if the fuel pump has been done or any of the things they claim they done (oil change, fuel filter, fuel pump) the dust accumulated on my rims show no hand marks/smudges where I'm assuming the Tyre would have been removed. My car has only stopped kicking over since they had it and I just got it towed to my place from their workshop cos I had enough, any help on where to start would be appreciated (not to mention they've taken my car manual out of the car and haven't replaced my engine cover) fuming but need to learn to do stuff myself or know what Im looking for

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
There may actually be two pumps (it's been a while since I've seen under a VR V8 but it certainly applies to VN); one external to the tank and one internal. The internal pump feeds fuel into the external pump.

The external pump will be an Al. cyl., under the car in front of the fuel tank, about the size of a drink can. It will have rubber hoses going back to the tank (front of the sender unit) and leading forward to a metal pipe that runs under the car to the engine, via the fuel filter. If it has been replaced it should be obvious - clean etc.

The fuel filter is a smaller metal can, located as ^.

The internal pump will be mounted in a bracket inside the tank that is integral with the fuel gauge sender (fuel level measuring) unit. The outside of sender/bracket can be seen on the front of the tank; about 80mm in diameter, with bolts holding it in place.

There are a couple of things in that bracket that could prevent the fuel pump from operating:

One is that (one of) the fuel hoses aren't connected inside the tank - as per wateva ^^ - but the pump should still run (for a while) if that is the problem.

Another is that there is rubber sleeve that connects the pump inlet to the sender assembly and that needs to be in place and not pushed back along the metal pipe or damaged. The pump will also run with that, just not deliver fuel.

It is also possible that the wiring inside the tank to the pump has broken, inside the insulation, which would stop the pump from running. As the wiring is part of the sender assembly, that may be why the mechanic was suggesting that the sender has to be replaced.

If the oil is clean - straw coloured on the dipstick, easier to see if dripped onto a clean sheet of white paper - that would indicate that the oil has been changed, black if not. The oil filter you would have to look at.

They wouldn't have to remove the wheel to change a fuel pump or filter, nor change to the engine oil. Even a brake pad wear check may not need the wheel removed.

I'm not sure what you found with a search on here but swapping the sender/internal pump is indeed pretty straightforward but messy, potentially dangerous (fire risk) and you do need to have a jack and wheel stands to get the back of the car off the ground. Also, somewhere to store the fuel that is currently in the tank.

Any time the sender is removed you should replace the cork gasket and probably the strainer on the fuel pick up in the tank. The bolts (only) need to be sealed with threadlocking compound eg. Loctite 242 applied to the threads before they are reinstalled (clean and dry them prior to application, both tank and bolt threads).

misshsv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 HSV Clubsport
Thank you so much for the thorough breakdown of what to look for, will take some pics and post according to each of the points above. Picking up a multimeter (just want to rule out alternator, battery or battery connection problems) and good spotlight soon, have got a couple of stands and chocks already, checked the oil which is a straw/black mx..possible sediment left from change..I also run a diagnostic and the battery light is staying on - I can't hear any noise from the pump also if any of that info helps to eliminate anything. I'll check what was mentioned first and then work my way through

dyke_mechanic90

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodoor ute
sounds like a faulty fuel pump or even the last mechanic that has worked on it might of not plugged in the wires correctly. before you go and buy a fuel sender either go to another mechanic or DIY. even get yourself a manual book. save yourself money :)