Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel smell in cabin after fuel tank filled

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Have been on a touring trip recently, and noticed a fuel smell in the cabin when the fuel tank is filled to the first click "off" of the petrol pump.

Seems fairly consistent. (My VZ had a fuel smell in the boot which permeated into the cabin when the tank was filled).
I have been tightening the fuel cap to the resistance point. When removing the fuel filler cap to fill the tank, the screw cap was tight.
Could not notice a fuel smell in the boot with the VF, must admit it was well and truly filled with luggage and such.

Anyone had this issue?

VF Redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I fill mine so much that I can see the fuel in the neck, no fuel smell fer me

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
When replacing the fuel cap, don't stop at the first resistance, keep turning it clockwise a few more revolutions. I was told this by an NRMA Patrolman, not an uncommon issue with some resistance caps. I always fill my tank until I can see the fuel in the intake. Never had problem - after NRMA advice.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi all,
Thanks for your feedback.
I haven't a service manual for the VF, but it possibly overflows fuel/vapours etc. to the carbon canister and that vents to the engine via the EVAP - if the VF has one.

I reconsidered how I tighten the filler cap. The VF filler cap is tethered, and is not the same design/shape as the VZ/VT cap, so I am working from past knowledge.

It has a clicking noise for 3 or 4 very small physical increments and then stops dead.
I have been filling to at least the third click. Perhaps I have to go the extra distance to the fourth click?
Once the fourth click is heard the cap is extremely rigid and doesn't move any more.

I'll give this a go.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Extract from the VF Owner's Manual 9-44.

4. After refilling, tighten the cap by rotating clockwise until a clocking noise is heard.

5. Close the fuel filler flap.

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I fill until the first click off on the pump nozzle then just round off the cents.

Why keep filling it to the top of the tank neck only to have the vent spit it out.

That’s just a waste of fuel and money in my opinion.

I then tighten the cap until it clicks 3 or 4 times and can’t say I’ve ever noticed a smell with my Utes or sedans.

One thing I have noticed is the fuel cap on the VF2 is a cheap copy of the caps used in the VE series.

I don't have a VF1 so I don't know if they are different to the VE as well but I'm sure others would have owned both and noticed if they are.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Reference the fuel smell in the passenger cabin.

The dealer has done the following:

Removed and replaced the purge canister.

Replaced the EVAP solenoid.

Done one tank fill since - no petrol smell.
During the last tank fill I also popped the bonnet - Could not smell fuel. Popped the boot no fuel smell.
The VF fuel tank seems to be two plastic tanks (interconnected how?) set underneath the back seat cushion.

Curiosity question - the fresh air inlet to the purge canister.
Is it under the back seat cushion area next to the fuel tank?
I'm wondering if this fresh air inlet allows a fuel smell to escape and it perhaps comes through the rear seat area body seams, unused and unsealed vacant mounting/aligning holes etc. into the cabin.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

ToeCutter21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline MY15 + VF2 Redline MY17
The VF fuel tank seems to be two plastic tanks (interconnected how?) set underneath the back seat cushion.

I was looking through the ECU settings using EFI Live and saw reference to a main tank and a reserve tank. Seemed odd.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Some more feedback on the fuel smell -

Have had 5 tank fills, to the cut-off of the pump, since the repairs were done in June.

First three fills no smell.

Fourth fill - slight smell.

Fifth smell much stronger in cabin. Drove home about 3 kms and still had a fuel smell in the back seat floor area.

Well back to the dealer.
Anyone know about any problems with the purge canister etc?. The smell through into the cabin indicates that the floor pan is not vapour proof. (No fuel smell in Boot area). Does this suggest a failure of the various gap fillers etc in the floor pan?

RECAP Dealer - In June the dealer did the following:

Removed and replaced the purge canister.

Replaced the EVAP solenoid.