Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel smell in cabin

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
Another option (which was my issue) was the fuel hoses had perished in the engine bay (on the return line in my case). The mechanic said the only time they saw it was under pressure, fixed with a cheap bit of fuel hose.

dk4400

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 UTE
After reading this thred, I thought I would go and attack mine, and found the problem, after removing the access plate behind the drivers seat,
looking right at me was 3 hoses, 2 go to the fuel tank and the other ( smaller hose, which was cut off :( ) is the fuel vapour line that goes from the carbon canister
to the fuel filler neck. As this was not connected Im guessing that the fuel smell, in my case, was coming from the fuel filler neck, and driving with the window down causes it to get sucked into the cabin bad bad bad. Haven't taken it for a drive yet but hoping that its fixed the problem.
Not sure if yours is the same problem but might be worth a look.

brando93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
have the same thing with my vs ute now and again, seems to have got better since i first got it yet i havnt done anything to it? dont know what it was so im no help

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
have you pulled the cover off the tray to get to the fuel tank? my tank had a crack in it around one of the breather lines, bit of quick-steel fixed it all up though.

AB 1000

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy manual ute and 1998 VS S pac ute
Hello everyone, now I know this is a old thread but do have a question,

I am currently driving a VS ute around and it has got a very strong smell of petrol on the cabin but not all the time me and dad checked the hoses under the plate in the tray and all the hoses and connections looked fine and last time I filled up noticed the fuel cap does not click shut anymore

Just wondering if that could be apart of the issue

Thank you for any response.

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series II Ute
If the cap isn’t sealing properly fuel sloshes out of the filler neck and dribbles down into the tank cavity (I’m guessing the rubber filler seal has a few cracks and splits in it like most utes of this age). It occasionally happens to me when the cap cross threads but only on a newly filled tank. If you’re putting the cap on properly and it still smells of vapour, replace the cap.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
My VP ute had problems with this. Changed the tank. Same thing. Had the solders redone on the tank. Same thing. Changed caps. Same thing. Changed the canister. Same thing. Never did solve the problem.

In hind sight it might have been porous hoses.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Most commodores as they age have perished/split hoses at the filler and in the engine bay.
VS ute start at the filler and replace the small return/ breather hoses.

AB 1000

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy manual ute and 1998 VS S pac ute
Hey thank you guys, yeah we will look into it further however after playing around with the breather hose yesterday it seems to have fixed the issue might have been a loose connection but will update.