Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel sucks balls

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
Hmm interesting.

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
ok that raises a question does actone have any long term effects on the engine??

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
errr wrong.

Good old mythbusters have busted this one too.

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
have a look at what acetone does to rubber hoses and seals... in short it's bad news for most rubber and plastics.... I would be more inclined to add a couple of litres of toluene or xylene to a 50L tank of petrol.... probably wont give much better fuel economy but I know it helps the octane rating along a bit... acetone is an oxygenated organic so really the same rules for stoichiometric air/fuel ratio apply, the more oxygen atoms in the fuel molecules the less oxygen required from the air for a stoichiometric burn... eg thats why you run a methanol a lot richer than petrol, well the same thing applies to acetone. I cant imagine any acetone blow by being good for the oil either...

I certainly wouldnt gamble a late model car's fuel system on that video thats for sure...

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
The fuel he was using probably had ethanol in it and acetone will help petrol and ethanol mix so it will burn better. I very much doubt if it would double your mileage though. Acetone will also make any water in your tank mix with fuel just like methylated spirits does ,so it could stop your car pinging ( if your car pings and it has a knock sensor fitted it will back off your timing, which causes poorer fuel economy)I don't know what damage it would do to a fuel injected engine but i always put a cup of metho to a tank of fuel in my old carby engine cars and it got rid of any water in my fuel tank and made my engine run smoother.

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
live with it... or blow up your motor. :)