Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

fuel system issues?

DanBt1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX BT1
G'day everyone,

Just wanted to find out if anyone can tell me what symptoms you would have if either the pressure regulator wasn't holding pressure and or/both injectors were leaking as well?
Ive rebuilt my ecotec with some changes from standard due to chipping a piston from a forced induction set- up,
i.e mahle pistons more flat over standard (40 thou over), balanced, stage 2 crow cam, 1.8 roller rockers, multi-angle valve job and small head to intake manifold porting.
With this same cam and roller rockers, fuel comsumption is really bad. Use to get 450km (standard pistons etc..) out of a tank now its 300km (rebuilt) per tank, worse than a cammed ls1, is there a possibility the
injectors are leaking badly or pressure regulator could be contributing to this?

Cheers.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
have you had it tuned? changing a camshaft will stuff it up.

Leaking injector is usually indentified by hard starting when sitting a while and plumes of unburnt petrol as it clears out of cylinders.

Faulty fuel reg can be cheacked with a pressure gauge or you can pull the vvac hose off and if fuel comes out the diaphragm is split.

Another sypmton is turn car to accessories and let pump prime wait a bit and try n start if it doesnt start as per normal ie takes a whiel it can mean the reg isnt holding pressure in fuel rail for first start and it takes a bit to get pressure up again.

To me sounds like you need a tune.

DanBt1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX BT1
Cheers for the info, yeah its got a custom real time tune the cam isn't that much bigger over standard (should have gone much bigger!!!!) does about 155rwkws.
It is hard to start pretty much all the time, never fires straight away like it use to. When you prime it for a first start it takes a while to start,
if you prime it twice though it fires pretty much straight away every time. (which would suggest its not holding pressure in the rail)
I have taken off the vac hose a while ago to check that and nothing came out, it has got a walbro 255lph pump in the tank, but that shouldn't hurt the standard reg i wouldn't think.