Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel System Pressure - Regulator

waynethomson

Reaction score
Members Ride
series 3 ute
Hey All. I have a 1997 VS Ute and am having trouble finding a fuel pressure regulator. Does the fuel system supposed to operate at 44PSI (3.03 Bar)?

The part number on my old one is (Bosch 0280 160 552)

I have a couple of Standard PR112 Regulators in dusty boxes on my shelf.

Here is the link for the Standard Products Part....

https://ecatalog.smpcorp.com/STD/#/vehicles/parts/num/PR112?type=s

Fuel pressure regulators do not seem to exisit in Australia. Standard Motor Products may not make these anymore. Not sure.
hi mate, i cant find one anywhere. also its quite hard to track down what type etc. my motor is a VM engine number. 304 roller. im not that mechanical but i think that is the problem . very hard to start, when it does its very rich, black smoke and running like a pig.. new plugs, fuel filter and im waiting on a aic thingy, but im sure its the regulator. cant find one.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
hi mate, i cant find one anywhere. also its quite hard to track down what type etc. my motor is a VM engine number. 304 roller. im not that mechanical but i think that is the problem . very hard to start, when it does its very rich, black smoke and running like a pig.. new plugs, fuel filter and im waiting on a aic thingy, but im sure its the regulator. cant find one.
Last I knew the V8 one is also obsolete. @Deuce IIRC had trouble finding one some time ago.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Have you cleaned the MAF?

Tested the actual fuel pressure?

waynethomson

Reaction score
Members Ride
series 3 ute
Have you cleaned the MAF?

Tested the actual fuel pressure?
i havent cleaned the maf sensor,i wouldnt have thought the symptoms pointed towards the maf being dirty. but i will do that. i dont know how to test the fuel pressure. im getting it down to my mates shop on friday, ill have him do it. i was just looking over it as you do and i noticed a sprk plug lead almost completely severed doen on the thick part at the plug end.. it looks like its toast. i know that it isnt great but would one faulty lead cause such serious symptoms?? i w
ill replace them before i go any further. thanks mate

waynethomson

Reaction score
Members Ride
series 3 ute
hi mate., i havent cleaned the maf but i will. i was just looking over it checking things and i noticed number 1 lead is slit down at the plug end and ite almost broke all the way thru. i know its not optimal but would a faulty lead cause such severe symptoms? also i dont know how to test fuel pressure. i live down the snowies and its miles to anywhere. but i will change out the leads before i take another step. thanks for your help. regards

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
One bad plug lead doesn't generally cause it to run really bad, just a miss but it sounds like there could be many things going on. How old are the leads? How old are the dizzy cap and rotor?

There is a small hose going from the fuel pressure regulator to the intake manifold. Take that hose off and see if there is any fuel coming from there (indicating a failed diaphragm). Fuel pressure regulators tend to fail internally leaking fuel straight into the intake via the vacuum hose rather than increasing pressure.

You could have sick injectors, stuck open leaking fuel into the engine too.

Have you checked the ignition timing?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Last I knew the V8 one is also obsolete. @Deuce IIRC had trouble finding one some time ago.
That was a while back. I can't remember now where I looked for one, or if I used one from something else.
I also can't remember if the bad one was VN style or the VR+ style.
I do remember it was fuel in the vac line as immortality described.

If I were to guess, maybe it was the VN style and I switched it for a V6 one? But maybe not. It was ages ago sorry.

waynethomson

Reaction score
Members Ride
series 3 ute
One bad plug lead doesn't generally cause it to run really bad, just a miss but it sounds like there could be many things going on. How old are the leads? How old are the dizzy cap and rotor?

There is a small hose going from the fuel pressure regulator to the intake manifold. Take that hose off and see if there is any fuel coming from there (indicating a failed diaphragm). Fuel pressure regulators tend to fail internally leaking fuel straight into the intake via the vacuum hose rather than increasing pressure.

You could have sick injectors, stuck open leaking fuel into the engine too.

Have you checked the ignition timing?
hi mate thanks for your reply. i never got it down to my mates like i wanted to. i have checked the vac line running from the reg to the throttle body and it appears to be dry. also i crimp the fuel line from the regulator and its not overfuelling from there. im waiting on the plug leads online, i ended up buying a oem set of holden leads. they will be here next week.
the valley gasket was done about 40,00kms ago ( approx ) the points and leads were done then. ive pnow put new plugs in, have anew iac to put in and also a new ignition module, i attempted to put the new module on the other day but the 2 fixing bolts just spin, so ithink i have to take the wheel off and the inner gaurd to get at it?? is that correct??
no idea how old the cap is, once i get the module on, new leads, clean the maf and put the new iac on we will see ho we go then, i was fumbling around around behind where the cap is yesteday and the coil was not frmly fixed to anything. im wondering if there is a problem there. and the cap seems to have a bit of play in it also. like the 2 spring clips holding it on were lacking a bit of tension. you are correct in saing there is a few things probably going on at the same time. do you think it best to pull the top off so i can have a good look around. i wouldnt have thought the coil would flop around like it does..
ive been thinking about selling it anyway as fuel is getting expensive etc and ive bought a hx one tonner that i would rather put my time into. to sell it i have have it running right. maybe it needs new injectors? do you know if bosch 973 injectors are compatable? theres a swap service available, old for refurbished. is that the way to go?
sorry for bombarding you with so many questions. the timing hasnt been checked at this stage.
i will put the leads, module and iac on and get back to you next week. thanks for helping

waynethomson

Reaction score
Members Ride
series 3 ute
hi mate thanks for your reply. i never got it down to my mates like i wanted to. i have checked the vac line running from the reg to the throttle body and it appears to be dry. also i crimp the fuel line from the regulator and its not overfuelling from there. im waiting on the plug leads online, i ended up buying a oem set of holden leads. they will be here next week.
the valley gasket was done about 40,00kms ago ( approx ) the points and leads were done then. ive pnow put new plugs in, have anew iac to put in and also a new ignition module, i attempted to put the new module on the other day but the 2 fixing bolts just spin, so ithink i have to take the wheel off and the inner gaurd to get at it?? is that correct??
no idea how old the cap is, once i get the module on, new leads, clean the maf and put the new iac on we will see ho we go then, i was fumbling around around behind where the cap is yesteday and the coil was not frmly fixed to anything. im wondering if there is a problem there. and the cap seems to have a bit of play in it also. like the 2 spring clips holding it on were lacking a bit of tension. you are correct in saing there is a few things probably going on at the same time. do you think it best to pull the top off so i can have a good look around. i wouldnt have thought the coil would flop around like it does..
ive been thinking about selling it anyway as fuel is getting expensive etc and ive bought a hx one tonner that i would rather put my time into. to sell it i have have it running right. maybe it needs new injectors? do you know if bosch 973 injectors are compatable? theres a swap service available, old for refurbished. is that the way to go?
sorry for bombarding you with so many questions. the timing hasnt been checked at this stage.
i will put the leads, module and iac on and get back to you next week. thanks for helping
also too mate, any recommendations on an obd11 set up. quality/ price/ value. any advice in this dept would be good. ive never used one but i know owning one would be of benifit. im sure ill use it. thanks