Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel tank capacity problem

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
Just went to fill up my VX, and I the trip was telling me I had 3k's left when I got to the service station. So I filled up but it only took 63litres the pump kept ticking/stopping so I stopped putting fuel in not too sure if somehow I have a smaller tank but im pritty certain its a 75litre tank as all vt/vx's so im a bit puzzled.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
You just can't rely on the distance to empty readings. A lot of factors come into play, if you are facing uphill the reading will be lower than if you were facing downhill, also if the car is leaning in one direction it will make a difference. It will be reasonably accurate on flat ground proving it has had a few minutes to adjust the reading. Sometimes the sender is just inaccurate.

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
Well I had travelled atleast 40k's while on petrol light, so when filled up it may of had 3 or so litres left. But only took 62 litres, out of a 75L tank. which seems odd!!

burleighboy86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SV6 A6
I've had my VT reading go from 0 to 30 in the space of 5 minutes. And vice versa from 40 to 7. There's quite a few factors that contribute to the reading, remembering that it is only an assumption by the car.

MrSirWantalot

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV GT-P Boss 335 & 2000 VX Berlina 5.7lt (toy)
Well I had travelled atleast 40k's while on petrol light, so when filled up it may of had 3 or so litres left. But only took 62 litres, out of a 75L tank. which seems odd!!

when u fill it full......does the gauge read just beyond full??

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
mine has said zero but still only took 65L just one of things. just drive till empty then try lol

normie666

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Vt Series 2 Olympic Edition
If i believe what i know is correct, that the 75L is the main plus a small reserve. You can actually drive around on the light and on zero for a while before it dies. That may not be correct but that is what i know

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
You've got a ~10l reserve set. When your dash reads 0kms you've really got 10l left. Which would be pretty much inline with what results youve gotten.

WHYtheFACE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
mine has said zero but still only took 65L just one of things. just drive till empty then try lol

Except in all cases I've heard, you would then need a new fuel pump. :p

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
try using the hidden trip menu that reads how many ltrs u have left in the tank wen u get down 2 3kms again and see if it says 10ltrs left?

but as above said its not the best thing 2 do 2 ur fuel pump lol.