Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel tank leak

bigal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 3.3
Can somebody tell me the easiest way to seal a leaking fuel tank in my VK sedan. There is a wet patch and it seems to be seeping out right in the middle underneath the bottom of the tank. Also how hard is it to remove the whole tank?
Cheers, Big Al

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
A new fuel tank maybe?

The only way to seal it properly is to weld the split.
Not such a good idea with fuel in the tank either;)
So whilst the tanks out you may aswell replace it.

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
quality chewing gum well chewed will get you out of trouble, also there is a fuel tank repair kit at your local parts supplier again it is not permanent.
removing the tank is not that hard two bolts on the two straps and it will drop with attention to the filler pipe make sure it is well lubed (vaseline), and the fuel vapour lines on top of the tank, and remove the fuel sender and return pipes.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
A new fuel tank maybe?

The only way to seal it properly is to weld the split.
Not such a good idea with fuel in the tank either;)
So whilst the tanks out you may aswell replace it.

never weld a fuel tank, the metal will asorb fuel particals over time with expasion from heat and can cause some nasty injuries if you weld it

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I had the fuel tank in our VC repaired a few years ago, like yours it was leaking in the centre of the tank, I could not buy a new tank there were none available and all the second hand tanks were not much better, you could see rust in the same spot when you looked in through where the sender unit goes. Mine was repaired by a radiator repair shop that advertised they repaired tanks, what they did was clean up the area where the leak was and layed a metal patch into a bed of molten solder like they use to repair radiators then soldered around the edges, I asked if it was dangerous to do and the guy that did it said they did heaps of them, from memory I think he said they filled the empty tank with exhaust gas then sealed it then soldered away. Anyway mine was done maybe 2 to 3 years ago and is fine.
Not hard to remove and I just took the empty tank in to them and they repaired it.

clubsport_replica

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt clubsport replica
had the same problem with my vk calais lots of years ago, was too low and i drove down a kerb and bang got home n a nice puddle was sitting there with me lol.... anyway i got some metalmend i think its called ya break a bit off kneed it and once the area is clean n dry just push it into place but must be kept dry for a day or so as it need heat to cure properly and she never leaked again....

worth a shot stuff is only like 10 bucks or something i even fixed a rb30 head with this stuff as it was pissing coolant out the side of the head same thing kneeded it pushed it into the clean n dry hole then when set i filed it back put a bit of paint on there n was like new again....

good stuff

Demon76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB commodore SL/E
I would just replace the fuel tank...i think its much safer...not sure how long it will last if you just mend it