Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

fuel usage

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
Those official fuel figures are interesting. My V6 manual around town usually gets about 10l/100km, up to 11.5 if I'm stuck in traffic for hours at a time, and on the highway I have had it as good as 6.8l/100km. So my engine is using less fuel than Holden say it should???

Damn I love it.

Either way it doesn't really matter if you've got a 6 or an 8, fuel usage is mainly about one thing, how heavy you are with your right foot. I know that if I baby it around town I can get 9.5l/100km out of my VN, yet if I thrash the crap out of my mum's excel (manual) I can blow it out to about 14l/100km.

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
Yeah i was comparing my fuel usage to my mums car(vn aswell) and she was getting way better fuel economy but then i remember im a 18 yr old P plater who drives the car pretty hard and mum drives hers like a granny.

F

foammedia

mouce do you have pretty skinny tires?, good figures even for a manual

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
Yeah got 195's on there at the moment. But I keep the old girl as well tuned as I can, and I play around with driving techniques.

For example, at the moment when I'm taking off from lights, I'm flooring it, getting to the speed limit and then just cruising (often I shift from 2nd to 4th or even 5th). Not the best figures that I've ever returned, but certainly not the worst.

Another fun one to play with is third gear. I've got it worked out that if it's flat or on a downhill slope I can drive my car like an auto, take off in third (and say sorry to my clutch) and do any speed I feel like up to and including the speed limit. That one's REALLY not good for fuel though.

Out on the open road though, I don't have the advantage of cruise control. But I do have a vacuum gauge in the car. Between that, the tacho, the speedo and picking the right gear, I can keep fuel use to a minimum. Best $20 I ever spent.

nathans1987

Reaction score
Website
4316.awardspace.com
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7L M6
mouce said:
Yeah got 195's on there at the moment. But I keep the old girl as well tuned as I can, and I play around with driving techniques.

For example, at the moment when I'm taking off from lights, I'm flooring it, getting to the speed limit and then just cruising (often I shift from 2nd to 4th or even 5th). Not the best figures that I've ever returned, but certainly not the worst.

Another fun one to play with is third gear. I've got it worked out that if it's flat or on a downhill slope I can drive my car like an auto, take off in third (and say sorry to my clutch) and do any speed I feel like up to and including the speed limit. That one's REALLY not good for fuel though.

Out on the open road though, I don't have the advantage of cruise control. But I do have a vacuum gauge in the car. Between that, the tacho, the speedo and picking the right gear, I can keep fuel use to a minimum. Best $20 I ever spent.
i have a manual and i get about the same mine isnt in very good running order at all its not that bad either but i dont do anything other that oil and filter change every 30,000 ish. i also find it easy to drive not going over 2000rpm and coz it has torque low down my minimal acceleration(only going to 2000) is better that all cars.

Mr_Slim

Personal Trainer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais Manual
mouce said:
Between that, the tacho, the speedo and picking the right gear, I can keep fuel use to a minimum. Best $20 I ever spent.

Or if your lucky, the Level 3 Cluster just tells you how much fuel your using per 100km. Ah Calais how i love you :dance:

iwishmyVNwouldstart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN series III & Honda VTR250
one of the best threads on this was a couple of months back, and said the most common reason for **** fuel economy are injectors working badly, and a stuffed pressure regulator. came down to less power because fuel wasnt entering the cylinder not in a completly vapourised state, resulting in less power and the engine throwing even more fuel in the try and compensate. i get about 1l/7-8km around the city, improve that by about 1 km on the highway. my engine is running like **** though, oil pressure, knock sensor need replacing, aswell as injectors and pressure regulator. AND lifters are sticking but im not in a rush to do it at the moment cause i still get 1l/27km out of my VTR250, when i flog it.:w00t:

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
does the knock sensor have much to do with ecconomey?? mine needs replacing
just brought a new oxy sensor as mines well overdue, if im lucky and it works for most of a tank i get 450km/50L but atm im getting 250km/50L as its running very rich lol... blowing smoke isnt good

fazz1977

myspace.com/fazz_himself
Reaction score
Website
www.buttonhole.com.au
Members Ride
1992 VP Executive Wagon, L27 V6 3800
Just so everyone knows, I put a tank full of that new Shell economy formula fuel in last week. It's a hoax. On boring old unleaded my gauge hits the halfway mark at approximately 210-230 kms, with this stuff it hit last night at 180 kms. That's over a 10% increase in fuel use, with stuff that's supposed to help. Stick to 91 unleaded and run some good injector cleaner through occasionally and it should be cool.

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
I ussaly put 95 unleaded in mine, ussaly from caltex or maybe mobil, or if im going for a long trip i will put some 98 in with some injector cleaner. By the sounds of it 500km out of a tank is about right for a vn? I also take into account that im a P plate driver who drives pretty hard around town so that drinks a bit more fuel.