Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Funny rattles...and an exhaust

Shortsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Pack Ute
Hiya gang,

So this rattle sound starts up. Doesnt matter if im accelerating, braking, air c on or off etc. I cant work it out. Holden have a look, and it turns out to be the heat shields on the exhaust need to be replaced.

Now granted, I havent looked, but would assume they are bolted or tek screwed in place? Holden tell me to replace the heat shields, they need to replace the whole exhaust system!!!:confused:

Personally I dont care cos they say its a warranty job anyway, but bloody hell....is it really necessary to replace what must be a $10 piece of steel with an entire exhaust (that i assume must be worth $1000+)??

Thoughts anyone?

twb1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Black CDTi Astra 6sp manual
Hi shortsta,

Try grabbing your exhaust (obviously when cold) and giving the rear box a good shaking by holding the piece that sticks out the back.

I've got a mate who has just purchased a VZ exec with 50k on the clock and he had the exact same problem. I traced it back and he got it fixed under NCW, wasn't secured properly by those 2 'hangers'. It was annoying the hell out of him.

Shortsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Pack Ute
Its the alloytec. seems now (as i dropped it in this morning to actually do the job) that they can just do the heat shields.

I should have read the whole post above...."when cold...when cold" Damn burnt hands..:whistling: (just kidding).

And Troy..agree with you....if its a warranty, i dont care what they do, as long as im not paying and its fixed :)

Thanks for comments guys. will let you know if it stops the rattles :thumbsup:

1dvsbstd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES II 2016
same here but it never used to do it......
only does it when i put the foot down