Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Funny sound - 98 VT. Anyone heard of this?

gyp23

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Executive
Hi guys

Just curious if any of you have had or heard of this experience?

The other day I noticed that when I make a right or left hand turn I 'set off' this whining sound from the car. It continues then even if driving in a straight line, and increases in pitch with speed. It's not deafening in volume but definitely noticeable. In someway it is in sync with the gears because if it goes up or down gears, I can hear the funny sound changes in pitch with the revs (hope that makes sense!). I have to emphasise that this has to be 'set off' as it doesn't happen all the time - only after I've made a decent right or left hand turn.

Its a 1998 VT 3.8L Exec Auto with about 105,000 k's on the clock. About 4,000k's ago it had new front rotor discs put in, but this sound only started 2 days ago. It doesn't have any affect on the car's performance or steering. Any help would be really appreciated!

Cheers,
Georgia

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I would start by checking the power steering fluid level. That will make a whining noise if the level is too low. Thats about all I can suggest.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
That was my thought... noticied mine start to make the same noise today. May have been happening when i was out crusing last night but the music was up a little loud :p

I know i have a leak (to be fixed soon) so a bit of hard driving last night might have just been a bit too much for it.. lost a little.

gyp23

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Executive
LOL BINGO!!!

Funny - after posting that thread, I had an ephiphany linking the sound coming from the car turning with the power steering and ran out to check the power steering fluid - twas scarily low - about half what is required for Cold (Min). So I ran off and got a bottle and filled it up to the right level.

Hey presto - the sound goes. Gotta love $5 fixes!
Thanks guys!

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Hehe yep aren't they the best? Woulda done mine too except noone local open on a sunday, don't really want to make the 40km trip to my nearest supercrap just for the sake of having it fixed now, rather than next weekend, when it won't even be driven in the meantime.

grafxworld

KLRBASS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT GTR EXEC S1 - SOLD off
power steering more than likely, they suck on commys, mine is rooted , GM makes lousy power stering pumps, they never seem to change them to a good model ?

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
It was just fluid... i ended up getting mine from kmart.. 10 mins before close lol. Stuck the fluid in while still in the kmart carpark and not heard a groan since.

Can't really blame the pump for that (well mine has a leak, so you can, but you know what i mean).

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
mattman said:
It was just fluid... i ended up getting mine from kmart.. 10 mins before close lol. Stuck the fluid in while still in the kmart carpark and not heard a groan since.

Can't really blame the pump for that (well mine has a leak, so you can, but you know what i mean).

Nah you can't. Its always the owners fault :p

mistaken

... pimpin it VT stylez
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Gee what a coincidence! Mine started a whiny sound yesterday too! And yep, sounds like its the power steering fluid.

However I haven't noticed any leaks where I park @ work and home - and it was a brand new rack installed only ~15000 kms ago. :unsure:

Oh well, I won't question it further - will check after work :)

PS: Dont ya love it when you can find answers in a forum without having to post :D

ghost1234

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VE GTS 307
I reckon its the breajs...
Slam on the breaks hard couple of time.... should fix the problem.