Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

FWD Holden

daggett

Crazy Tiger
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Wagon
heard rumor that they have canned the new rear drive platform :ranting: that was to be the next all new VE Commodore is a fact.

Its made the newpapers and in many motoring magazines, quoted direct from GM execs. GM globally is losing sh*tloads of cash (with the only bright star in the portfolio being Holden), and to cut costs, the rear drive platform had to go. (Stupid idea I know, but hey, it would be their first.)

Holden cant go it alone in developing a new rear drive platform and needs both parent GMs bucks and permission. Which leaves Holden with no choice to adapt a platform that GM gives it-hence the FWD idea I guess that Ford execs have been hearing.

The only bright spot may be that the upspec models ie. S and SS, may be four wheel drive, and thats of not a bad thing eh? Holden of course has had a track record in stretching/adapting foreign market platforms to suit their needs out of this necessity.

Just look at the VB-VL Commodore. It was based on the 4 cylinder european market Opel Rekord. Then the VN-VS was based on the Open Senator platform. The problem now is that GM doesnt have any up to date, competitive large car rear drive platforms anymore for Holden to play with.

When the current platform lives out its usefulnesss, then unless things change, it seems its bye bye rear drive. :flame:

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
I heard this was a possibility for the future a number of years ago. Not just cheaper but also quicker to assemble. The alloytec motor being 60 degrees supposably can be mounted sideways. :unsure: I think this would be a big mistake by GM and a big win for any RWD manufactures in the market. RWD cars a so much fun to drive. :D FWD cars totally suck.

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
...Bugger.....I love rear-drivers...

T sure was a shock to see such huge companies as Ford and General Motors in the USA having thier stock downgraded to "junk bond" status and labelled "not recommended as an investment". (could be time to buy up big if you gamble in the stock market though? :D )

It is apparently because they spent billions re-tooling thier plants to build those damn SUV's they love...massive trucks which get the fuel economy of a Sherman Tank and have about the same handling dynamics...with the sudden rise in oil prices, the public is not buying them now and Ford and GM are scratching to replace them with normal passenger vehicles...morons :rofl:

Of course, Chrysler is quietly plodding along making some quite interesting cars, including the Hemi powered 300C sedan which will be coming out here some time soon...very nice rear-drive platform with a stunning motor. They must be laughing at the other two major makers... :rofl:

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shutup: :bang: :bang: :bang: :mad: :ranting: :rice:

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
i doubt they would do it........no one would buy it and would make a commie dangerous wit that power at the front wheels hey?

Bleaaargh

Its because i scream alot
Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VU Auto, Saweeet.
man, that would bump up the prices of second hand commies a bit. if they lose RWD, i dont know what id do....apart from buy a VZ and keep it good.

and they better not call it a commodore.

just my random thoughts.

fourstar82

Head Chef Honcho
Reaction score
Website
s31.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VYII 25th Anniversary, 2007 VE Calais
Buy the latest copy of Wheels, it has all the info in there. Basically it says that plans for the RW drive in the US have been canned but they are still on track over here in Aus so theres no need to worry about the VE Commodore and future models. As for the Monaro, it could be a few more years before we see a 'new' model.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
The day Holden goes to FWD is the day I will go to Ford. I will never buy a FWD car. If Ford goes to FWD, then leaves me no option to stay with the older cars.
As for AWD, they are too easy to drive. I can't see how RWD cars are too complicated or $$$ to make. What's the big deal, only an external gearbox and diff.
If have to, go away from the IRS and go back to live axle diffs.
Holden should be shot for even thinking of FWD Holdens. :ranting:

Cheers,
Jim :cool:

fourstar82

Head Chef Honcho
Reaction score
Website
s31.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VYII 25th Anniversary, 2007 VE Calais
It comes down to development costs basically. Holden are fortunately independent enough to be able to keep and develop the RWD platform. I think there would be a huge backlash against Holden if they were to change to FWD.

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
I hope that they can keep developing the RWD platform. The large Holdens, all of them from the original 48-215 right up to the new VZ's have ALL been RWD, and i hope to God that they always are!