Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gap after fitting front springs

Franklee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Greetings folks,

After replacing the ultra low springs on my new wagon, I now have a gap between the front strut towers and the top 'mounting'? plates.

I read somewhere that this was due to worn strut top bushes, so I've replaced those and the bearings, however the gap still remains..

Anyone got an idea on WTF might be causing this?

Cheers,

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Throw up some photos of the struts out of the car and the struts in the car.

Franklee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Can't see an easy way to attach pics (is this not available via mobile?)

Correct me if I'm wrong, the bush takes all the weight between the body and the strut? Or is the top plate that the spring fits into supposed to hit the inside of the tower?

I bought the cheap bushes off ebay, and I'm wondering if (Even though they say they are), they may not be firm enough for the v8?

Thanks for the reply mate.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Its always best to buy a workshop manual and follow it when doing these types of jobs, you cant get it wrong then.

Franklee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
I've put both curved washers so they curve away from the bush. I.e. The convex touching the bush.

Cheers

Franklee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Brett, got a manual. Followed directions. However, it doesn't have much detail as to the piecing together of the actual strut assembly. (So washers may be incorrect, however I did find a strut image on google images that looks the same as I've got it..)

Cheers

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Just had a quick squiz at the VT to VZ max Ellery manual I have here, it says the lower washer concave section faces down, the top washer concave section faces up. The VT to VZ gregorys manual doesn't say which way they go, but it does show a pic of the top washer with concave side facing up and another pic with the lower washer concave facing down..

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If the dished washers are fitted right, then I really don't know what it would be without actually looking at it...Id reckon it would have to be something up with the strut top/bearing assembly. You might end up having to pull them out again to see exactly whats going on with them...

Last edited: