Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Garage Hoists.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Single phase hoist only draws about 10a. So going three phase will be similar I'd imagine.
I’d have thought the current needs would be based on the motor’s power needs which I’d think would be higher with the commercial lifting speed and duty cycle requirements than those slower (domestic?) units…. but as I said, I don’t know and if I was buying I’d check the specs in detail :p

All irrelevant as MasterOfReality has 3 of the good phases :cool:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I’d have thought the current needs would be based on the motor’s power needs which I’d think would be higher with the commercial lifting speed and duty cycle requirements than those slower (domestic?) units…. but as I said, I don’t know and if I was buying I’d check the specs in detail :p

All irrelevant as MasterOfReality has 3 of the good phases :cool:
The motor does bugger all in a modern hoist. Mine is a 4.5t, so no slouch same as what a few garages in Town are using. The modern hoist uses the hydraulics which is why they can use single phase just as well as a three phase. The power is in the hydraulics the motor is there to simply power the hydraulics so draws bugger all compared to a 20 year old hoist.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The only difference between my hoist and the ones in garages around Town of the same brand is the motor.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The motor does bugger all in a modern hoist. Mine is a 4.5t, so no slouch same as what a few garages in Town are using. The modern hoist uses the hydraulics which is why they can use single phase just as well as a three phase. The power is in the hydraulics the motor is there to simply power the hydraulics so draws bugger all compared to a 20 year old hoist.
The work in lifting a car is related to the speed of lifting it while the power required for the lift is related to the time that work takes.

The power required to lift the car must be provided to the hydraulics by the electric motor. The faster the lift occurs, the more power the electric motor will consume in pressurising the fluid used to lift the car. (the higher the duty cycle isn’t a power thing but more a durability thing)…

Since work = force x delta velocity squared / 2 (or something similar) and power = work / time, it’s clear the faster the lift occurs the higher the power requirement. It’s just physics. If such physics didn’t apply, a small pissy single cylinder engine would be able to drive a car down the drag strip in 6 seconds flat (but we know that takes a big engine and huge power to accelerate that fast down the 1/4 mile).

Interestingly common electric motor efficiency haven't changed much in 100 years and I’d expect/guess hydraulic systems also haven’t changed much in efficiency either…

But I really don’t know about hoists. It may be that there isn’t much difference in lifting speed between single phase and 3 phase hoists in which case power consumption would be comparable since lift speed is comparable.…

Magnum61

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Magnum
I've had the single phase Hero hoist for a year or 2 now. mechanically its all great just blown a hydraulic hose and a small electrical issue but the hydraulic pump set up would be fairly generic I recon.
Hero hoist.jpg

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I've had the single phase Hero hoist for a year or 2 now. mechanically its all great just blown a hydraulic hose and a small electrical issue but the hydraulic pump set up would be fairly generic I recon.
View attachment 255841
Oh my God! Are you Batman?…..Is that the Bat Mobile up there? OMG! OMG!

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8

How did you find them for warranty and parts? I went to their little warehouse in Yatala for a chat and didn't see many spare parts lying around.

Is yours certified?

Magnum61

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Magnum
How did you find them for warranty and parts? I went to their little warehouse in Yatala for a chat and didn't see many spare parts lying around.

Is yours certified?
I'm in the habit now of upgrading anything that breaks on Chinese stuff now and don't bother with replacing with the shitty parts. I had a new hose made by Enzed & had my sparky replace whatever was needed at the time.

As mentioned the fabrication & mechanical seems very good (I'm a fabricator by trade & I trust it). I haven't dealt with Hero since I bought it. I don't remember seeing the cert. but I haven't chased it either (sorry), its just for my use.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
I'm in the habit now of upgrading anything that breaks on Chinese stuff now and don't bother with replacing with the shitty parts. I had a new hose made by Enzed & had my sparky replace whatever was needed at the time.

As mentioned the fabrication & mechanical seems very good (I'm a fabricator by trade & I trust it). I haven't dealt with Hero since I bought it. I don't remember seeing the cert. but I haven't chased it either (sorry), its just for my use.

Yeah good call.

Some of them from memory were certified in Australia, some CE certified and some not at all but undergoing the process.